Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problem Connecting Asus TUF 4200

Joeywald
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I've recently upgraded to Full Fibre 100 and bought the Asus TUF 4200 which I am trying to connect. I unplugged the cable in the back of the THG3000 running from the ONT and plugged it into the Asus WAN. There is no internet and I am getting the message "use ethernet cable to connect your modem to router's WAN port". I do not have a modem and understood that I did not need one as the Asus router connected direct to the ONT. Am I mistaken about this? Any advice would be gratefully received.

10 REPLIES 10

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

You don't need a modem but you will need to get your service username and password from support.  You'll enter this in the WAN section of the TUF4200 WebUI.  If your connection is via OpenReach, that's it, a reboot and it should work.  If your connection is with City Fibre then on the router you'll probably need to set the VLAN ID to 911 via:

LAN > IPTV>
Select ISP Profile: Manual Setting
Internet VID: 911

*If by some chance you have the WAN VLAN-ID on the WAN page use that instead, it's a change that is supposed to be coming on the Asus routers, but as it's more than a year overdue now...

Thanks. I have got the PPPoE username and password from Vodafone and did reboot but it failed to connect.

Yes, I got the PPPoE username and password from Vodafone and have rebooted but still not connecting to internet.

Jayach

@Joeywald wrote:
There is no internet and I am getting the message "use ethernet cable to connect your modem to router's WAN port". I do not have a modem and understood that I did not need one as the Asus router connected direct to the ONT.

The ONT is often referred to as a fibre modem, as that is the function it fulfils., so yes you have cabled it correctly.

Are you definately using an Ethernet cable, and not a DSL cable?

I'm using the same cable that connects the Vodafone router perfectly to the internet. I have reset the Asus router and started from scratch but it still won't connect. This time I got the message "PPPoE authentification failure" although the username and password are definitely correct (copied and pasted from the Vodafone text). I'm wondering if the details I've been sent are incorrect. 

Ripshod

Vodafone support may have given the short version of the pppoe username. It should be entered into your asus as dslXXXXXXXXX@broadband.vodafone.co.uk

What speed plan have you ordered? If it's got similar upload/download then it's Cityfibre and needs the VLAN setting as @CrimsonLiar mentioned above. If the upload is a lot slower than the download it's openreach and has no VLAN. If you're in Humberside it could be Kingston Communications that provide the fibre, which needs a VLAN of 101.

If all the above fail then contact vodafone again and check the login details. 

https://vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd 

Hi thank you for the information. I was indeed given the short version. The username I was given began with "voi" so I tried that, and dsl, but neither worked. I will contact Vodafone again. 

Ripshod

You were apparently given your digital voice details - keep them safe somewhere they're very valuable.

You need to contact vodafone and aske them for your broadband login (PPPoE) details. 

Got the correct details and up and running! 😀

What could I do with digital voice details?