cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Choice of migrating OR FTTP in area also covered by CityFibre?

pctechbloke
4: Newbie

I'm under contract until August and have been with my current ISP since 2014 who are great but not the cheapest so am looking at alternatives if we can't reach a mutually acceptable retention deal come renewal time.

Have had FTTP delivered over Openreach fibre since Jan 2018 but there's also been an overbuild by CityFibre in 2020.

I don't want to end up with redundant kit so in this case if I went with Vodafone would I be given the option of migrating the existing OR fibre connection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I believe we'd be able to use your current equipment to transfer your line over to us @pctechbloke, but so we can double check this for you, please reach out to our Online Sales team, or pop us a message through one of our social channels.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I believe we'd be able to use your current equipment to transfer your line over to us @pctechbloke, but so we can double check this for you, please reach out to our Online Sales team, or pop us a message through one of our social channels.

Cheers @Mark I'll leave it to nearer the time.

As I said, going to see what I can negotiate first as the ISP are superb (more commonly known to businesses but do have residential customers like myself).

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@pctechbloke wrote:

Have had FTTP delivered over Openreach fibre since Jan 2018 but there's also been an overbuild by CityFibre in 2020.

I find it really annoying when that happens and some of us have no hope of getting FTTP for at least a couple of years.

@pctechbloke wrote:

I don't want to end up with redundant kit so in this case if I went with Vodafone would I be given the option of migrating the existing OR fibre connection?

Vodafone seem to use CityFibre in preference where it is available, but no harm asking.

Just don't be surprised when they do it despite saying they won't.

@Jayach wrote:

@pctechbloke wrote:

I find it really annoying when that happens and some of us have no hope of getting FTTP for at least a couple of years.

That sucks.

I went from an ADSL circuit which Openreach calculated at being 3.4km in length to FTTP after transitioning from an area of support that would close if it snowed (and the office it was based in closed) to an area where whatever happened you have to keep working to monitor systems and be available to help anyone working from home (long before any of the events of the past three years)

In the December of 2017 snow was forecast and right on cue my line started to lose sync as people started putting up Christmas lights.

Working on a line that maxxed out at 4 MB would have been hard enough but couldn't get it to stabilise, the ISP had pushed Openreach to do all sorts of stuff but as you've probably found, there's a limit to what they can do.

I was dreading having to phone my boss on the Monday and tell her I couldn't work (She would understand but still not a call I wanted to make)

Likely the snow didn't come but rang and ordered straightaway as it was about the same as I was paying for a second line and broadband (main line into the house has a monitored intruder alarm on it and was told at the time it was installed it was incompatible with ADSL)

Having been working from home since March 2020 I can definitely say I'd have probably been out of a job had I not had it.

I really am hoping I can strike a deal with my current ISP as out of the ones I've used over the years, they've been the best when it comes to support.

Jayach

@pctechbloke wrote:

I really am hoping I can strike a deal with my current ISP as out of the ones I've used over the years, they've been the best when it comes to support.

Having a ISP that you can rely on for support can be worth the extra to avoid the stress that can come from dealing with useless so called "support".

I've had zero problems with Vodafone for the last 2 years (unlike the first 3 months), and they offered me the best deal when it came to the end of my contract.

But I do hate the thought of having to contact their "support" again. Fingers crossed I don't have to.