Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Connecting TP-Link Archer ax72 router to Vodaphone Fibre 2

NickChurch
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi 

I've got an Archer AX72 router, which I've connected to my Virgin internet - I use the Virgin router in modem mode and works perfectly.

However, I've just chaged ISP to Vodaphone on the Fibre 2 plan, which is significantly cheaper and (hopefully) a little more reliable than Virgin... that remains to be seen but hey-ho. Its being installed next Tueday.

I've been having a look at the package I have signed up for and its going to be FTTC, so I guess that means I'll get a DSL connection port installed to the house. I was planning on using the router that Vodaphone sent me as a modem and plugging in the archer router, however apparently there is no way to run this in modem only mode....

So, not sure where this leaves me. Can I just connect an ethernet cable from the vodaphone WAN port to the incoming port on the Archer? Effectively, that would mean I'd have two wifi signals in my house - is that even possible? If I can do that, great, don't need to do anything I guess, but that won't work with my Virgin box so I'm not sure...

I also saw something online that suggested I can get the PPPoE details from vodaphone (which I have done) and set up my Archer using these.... but the Archer is not a modem, so I'm assuming I can't do that?

So basically looking for any suggestions on how I use my Archer router, all be it with the Vodaphone acting as a modem. 

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Jayach
16: Advanced member

You are correct, to use the Archer on Vodafone you will need a modem, but the Vodafone hub doesn't have a modem mode.

You can't use the WAN port on the Vodafone router as the is for the incoming connection.

So that leaves using the the Archer running from the Vodafone router in double NAT configuration, which will work for most things, but may cause problems with gaming or if you wish to run a server.

The other option, which will use the Wi-Fi of the Archer, but leave the Vodafone doing the routing is to use the Archer in AP (Access Point) mode.  https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1384/

Oh wow I’m an idiot - even says in the quick instructions that the wan is for the fibre! 😂

I don’t care about double nat’ing, only use it for work and TV so suspect I’ll never notice. 

assume I daisy chain it through port one on the vodaphone router?

Jayach

@NickChurch wrote:
assume I daisy chain it through port one on the vodaphone router?

Yes, and set the Archer to automatically get an I.P. address. You won't need to use the Vodafone username and password, as the Vodafone router will deal with that.

You can also then disable the Wi-Fi on the Vodafone router.