cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Devices not using Super wifi booster despite this being the better option for access

hanners
2: Seeker

Any ideas why my devices dont shift their connection the super wifi hub which is closet to them?

The office is upstairs with the laptop and so is the booster, the booster shows a good connection to the router. However the laptop continues to connect to the router which is downstairs every time, even after turning off the wifi. The signal to the to the laptop on the app shows as poor, and interspeeds would attest to this too. 

Can I force the laptop off the ultra hub router so that it joins the via the booster instead maybe, cant seem to find anything that allows me to do that. Or is this an ARP cache within the hub on the router the needs to be cleared after turning off the wifi connection on the laptop?

It seems to be the same for my Iphone too, persistently sticks with the router rather than moving the booster

any assistance greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Mark

8 REPLIES 8

hanners

Any ideas why my devices dont shift their connection the closet super wifi hub which is closet to them?

The office is upstairs with the laptop and so is the booster, the booster shows a good connection to the router. However the laptop continues to connect to the router which is downstairs every time, even after turning off the wifi. The signal to the to the laptop on the app shows as poor, and interspeeds would attest to this too. 

Can I force the laptop off the ultra hub router so that it joins the via the booster instead maybe, cant seem to find anything that allows me to do that. Or is this an ARP cache within the hub on the router the needs to be cleared after turning off the wifi connection on the laptop?

It seems to be the same for my Iphone too, persistently sticks with the router rather than moving the booster

any assistance greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Mark

I join with your frustration. My ring doorbell is the other side of the wall from the booster, yet steadfastly refuses to connect to it - it prefers the main router the other side of the house with a resultant negligible signal. I follow this topic with interest.

Howardjt
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I'm having exactly the same problem. Configured my new network today. Successfully connected a bunch of IoT devices in the garden to the booster (via a WiFi extender). An hour later the extender which is less than 10m away and every other device near the booster has disconnected and only connects to the Ultra Hub but with poor connections. Surely the whole principle of WiFi6 mesh networks is that devices will connect to the strongest signal?

Is there any way to 'force' a device to connect to the booster (because it's physically closer)?

Robyn

Hi @Howardjt,

You can check/ test your Home Broadband service through our diagnostic tool and if any issue is found, this would be raised for further investigation. You can check and alter your settings through your Home Broadband App and GUI (details shown on the router) if needed. 

We do have our dedicated Home Broadband team on 0333 304 0191 or via our LiveChat team that will be able to assist further.

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

One of the problems with roaming between WiFi nodes is that older devices have to be set to do it, and the handover threshold can be such that they never do.  Yet to see a home network that hands over the way the illustrations suggest they should!

@CrimsonLiar thanks for the insight 😃 Frustratingly these IoT devices (Shelly switches) are static, physically as well as with static IP addresses. Part of my problem may be the vintage of the (non mesh) WiFi extender I'm using. I've ordered a more up to date extender and will see if that makes a difference.

CrimsonLiar

My experience with Shelly devices is that if you leave them alone, they'll probably connect to the extender at some point of their own accord - it just happens.  Despite posting a lot on this kind of subject, provided it's all working I tend to leave well alone.

Yes you're spot on there. Four Shellys all connected to the same TP Link extender, which was in turn was connected to a BT (not so) Smart hub worked seamlessly for three years. Strangle the same extender that wouldn't stay connected to the Vodafone booster last night has mysteriously reconnected and appears happy..... tonight!