cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast with Google Wifi, will this work?

MightyCarlos
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello everybody, I've just had Vodafone Gigafast broadband installed and I'm having a bit of a nightmare getting my Google Nest WIFI connected. I have a CityFibre line connected with a THG3000 router. After some research and much hair pulling this is what I've found out so far..... I think, please correct me if any of this is wrong.

• The THG3000 can't be put into bridge mode.
  • Because I have a CityFibre connection I have a ONT installed with a LAN Cable output that I should be able to plug into any 3rd party router and set up a VLAN?
  • The Google Nest WIFI doesn't support VLAN tagging.
  • This page https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9798157?hl=en-GB says I could use a managed switch to setup the VLAN then connect the Google Nest WIFI.

So if I've got that all correct could I connect a TP-LINK TL-SG105E to the CItyFibre ONT, setup with VLAN (ID=911), then connect connect my Google Nest WIFI to the switch?

I could then do something similar to what this user did to set up the THG3000 to connect my phoneline?

Is any of this anywhere near right or am I completely barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks for any help guys. 

1 REPLY 1

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I may be missing something here, but if you are going to do what this user did, which is basically use the THG3000 with most of it's functions turned off and put your chosen router in the DMZ, you won't have to express the VLAN as the THG3000 will have done it., along with providing the username and password.