Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HOW TO: Use a third party router on Vodafone VDSL

jonnywombat
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

On Firday afternoon Vodafone UK sent a corporate email telling their support team that they can now give out Broadband username and passwords.

I have now set up my own router, and here's what i did.

Step 1 Ring VF on 08080034515 and get your username and password. The support team member then emailed me my Log in info.

Step 2 Swap your router. Keep your VF router in case you ever get an issue and need tech support as they will not support your 3rd party device

Step 3 In your routers web interface access the WAN settings. Set connection type to PPPoE, enter username and password and leave all settings as default EXCEPT enable 802.1Q and set Vlan tag to 101.

Step 4 Save settings and apply. Your router should now connect to VF. Mine took a couple of minutes to get a connection and another couple from the router showing it was connected to actually being able to access the net

Step 5 After a few minutes the connection dropped, and it would not connect again. After investigation I was told this is to do with VF registering your router on there network. Hard reset your router. Power it down remove the power cord for 30 seconds and power back on.

Step 6 Enjoy

This is just based on my experience of setting up my router ASUS DSL-AC68U, YMMV. However the ASUS is syncd at 73.6meg, when the VF router syncd at 72.1 and I have noticed a marked improvment in performance.

HTH someone

Jonny

343 REPLIES 343

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, the VF router will never act as a modem, however the Orbi Mesh can be set up as a replacement WiFi system. Your VF router would still be in charge of everything but the WiFi.  This cures the problems associated with the appauling WiFi on the VF router, but does not cure everything else that is wrong with the VF router.

If you use the Orbi with a VDSL modem you should be able stop using the VF router alltogether.  The problem is that "should be", as if you do have any issues there may be a large amount of trial and error in order to get things working.

Are there systems other than the Orbi that can do the same?  Sure there are, but reviewers do like the Orbi, and it does tend to get better scores than average.  As for a system that can be used in a mesh configuration but has built in VDSL capability, there kinda is in the shape of Asus AIMesh VDSL modem/routers and a few other similar systems, but these are really targetted at people who are already invested into a system.

Just change the old voda router to a Asus DSL-AC750  about £50 and it all worked straight away. Happy bunny.

Thanks, bendyone - I assume you used ASUS to replace vodafone router - did you see any appreciable difference in the wifi performance?

Hi, I was getting about 35 MBs with the old vodafone router this is now 36MBS so no real differancs on speed but the wifi coverage is far better. This was not the main reason for changing, Vodafone updated the firmwear on their router and this stopped my Openvpn server from connecting. With the Asus router I am back up and running.  The Asus DLS-AC750 i s a fairly low spec router but it does what I want. If you want even better wifi coverage look at the Asus Bluecave router and seperate modem , 3 x the cost but very good.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some of the review sites, do not like the Bluecave because it's range is not as good as that of the better conventional Asus routers.

*Running an Asus RT-AC86U (Black friday special), meshed with an Asus RT-68U (2013), and using a Draytek Vigor 130, though I also have access to a Huawei HG612-3B (Ebay $5), and a Netgear DM200 (Ebay - spares or repair though it works fine £5).

Thank you - I have been thinking about RT-AC3100 - any good? Which router can I mesh it with ?

Also id DrayTek Vigor 130 the best modem out there?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Regards Asus high end routers you'll have to look at the router support forums.  There are too many people with RT-AC3100, RT-AC3200, RT-AC87, RT-AC88, and the DSL varients with problematic low 5GHz sync speeds.  Actually had a DSL-AC88U here as a loaner for a week - it's DSL performance was poor (this thing is supposed to be g.fast capable but on VDSL2 was 10Mbps slower than anything else), and no matter what I tried I couldn't get a 5GHz WiFi sync above 173Mbps.

As for the modems, you can tweak the SNR on the Vigor, but what you gain in speed you lose in re-transmissions!  So with the SNR let at default, there is little to no difference in performance between the Vigor 130 and the Netgear DM200.  The HG612 is a little (not much) slower, but if you are having problems you can always use "DSL stats" in an attempt to identify faults.  If you can get the Vigor 130 at a good price, then get it, but if not, either of the others at a good price will do!

Hi. I struggle 2nd day with asus dsl ac88u to connect Vodafone without success. Phoned few times to vf no improvements. Sent me username and password twice so error isn't possible. I'm doing quick internet setup choosing Scotland or United Kingdom then other provider then ppoe then vlan 101 adding username dsl...........atbroadband.vodafone.co.uk and password and can't connect. Any ideas what can be wrong?

machare
13: Advanced Member

If there is an option to select settings for Plusnet (VDSL) then I suggest that you use those. I presume that you have a cabinet based service not exchanged based ADSL and are a retail customer(not business),

Thanks for suggestion. I've tried but no effect. I'm private customer I've had btfibre2 before but priced almost double so I decide change provider.