Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Phone line doesn't work with the Vodafone WIFI hub router

User110920
4: Newbie

This is a follow-up to my previous post regarding Vodafone moving my landline to a VOIP line without informing me.
I have tried setting up the Vodafone router, however, I am unable receive or make calls.

I connected the RJ11 to BT adapter from the green socket of the router to the phone socket. When I call the landline, the phone icon on the router blinks. However, none of the phones in the house ring. In addition, there is no dial tone and I can't make any outward calls. Support don't know what to do.

27 REPLIES 27

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Just plug a single phone into the BT adapter and see if it works. If it does, you can then attempt to connect it to the existing phone wiring. I'm now in more familiar territory.

When I plug the phone directly into the back of the router it works. However, I need to connect the remaining phones.

Jayach

You will need to use/make a cable suitable to connect from the RJ45 TEL socket (with or without the adapter) to connect to one of the telephone extension sockets. (which is what I believe you have already tried) but make sure you remove the incoming phone line. as it may still be connected back to the cabinet/exchange.

It's called VRI (voice re-injection), so try googling that for more info.

You say that I need to remove the incoming phone line? How do I do this exactly?

Jayach

@User110920 wrote:

You say that I need to remove the incoming phone line? How do I do this exactly?

Open the master socket and disconnect the incoming wires on 2 and 5.

I see. Shouldn't Vodafone be doing this. I don't feel like screwing up my internet.

Jayach

Oh yes, sorry, just realised you are still on FTTC (VDSL) so no don't disconnect the incoming wires. (my bad)

Go to the first extension socket and disconnect the incoming wires there. You can then use any on the extension sockets to re-inject the voice.

BT/Openreach have an adapter that can be fitted to the master socket to do it all for you, but they are apparently not easily available. I'll try to find a link to them.

Please post a link if you find it. I cannot believe Vodafone think it's okay to disconnect an analogue phone line and cause all this mess. Unbelievable.

Jayach

@User110920 wrote:

Please post a link if you find it. I cannot believe Vodafone think it's okay to disconnect an analogue phone line and cause all this mess. Unbelievable.

It's not just Vodafone, it's the whole industry, driven by Ofcom and Openreach.

But yes, I believe some ISPs will do more for their customers to help with the transition.