main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Other broadband queries

HOW TO: Use a third party router on Vodafone VDSL

Highlighted
2: Seeker

So just to confirm that if I move from BT my current set up should work.  I currently use the openreach Vdsl modem (the one that isn't hackable) and connect to that with a TP link AC 750 cable modem. 

Do Vodafone supply your username and password when signing up? If so it's just a case of using this in the TP link instead of BT's.  I don't need to do anything with the Vdsl modem?

View more options
Highlighted
4: Newbie

What are  (if any)  the connection speed benefits of replacing the VF unit ?

View more options
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

@jay_uk1 I can't see any reason this wouldn't work. You'd just need to put the Vodafone supplied Username and Password into the configuration of the TPLink and it should connect from there.

@146 If you are using the Vodafone router that continuously drops connections then your speed may have been reduced to provide a more stable connection. If you replace your router with one that doesn't drop connections then, in theory, you'll get a better connection speed. You might need to get the line reset before the speed increases though.

View more options
Highlighted

Thanks to the post from florca (and others)  I am now using my old B.T.  "modem"  plugged into the WAN port of a TP-LINK Archer D2. 

I'll have to "hack it" to get any stats but at the moment any speedtests are showing no significant improvement (28Mbs) it was a solid 38+ when I was with Sky using the same "modem" which never disconnected.

I guess my line has been DLM'd down because of the at least daily disconnections since joining Vodafone.

View more options
Highlighted

@146 give Vodafone a shout and ask them to reset your line that should help speed things along

View more options
Highlighted

I thought only a O.R. (B.T. as was) engineer could reset the line and then only relunctantly after fixing a line fault ?

My connection (not download) speed dipped into the teens at one point, that did feel sluggish and I had an engineer visit, he remade some connections outside of my property and reset the line and I enjoyed 38 Mbs again for a while. It has slowly dribbled down over 9 months, disconnection by disconnection, but to be honest in real world use there isn't a lot of difference in 28Mbs to 38Mbs,  I'll try and be patient as I'm curious to see if the line will recover. It may be crosstalk dragging it down, I have noticed the cabinet has had an extension bolted on the side and have since found out it is to increase capacity and not to accomodate G-FAST as I'd hoped, so there are more subscribers and that = more crosstalk.  If you are correct and nothing changes in a month I'll give it a try, but as I said at the start.............................. ?

View more options
Highlighted
2: Seeker

Hi does anyone know how I can use a BT hub 6 on a Vodafone line? 

View more options
Highlighted
10: Established

@Aa1258 wrote:

Hi does anyone know how I can use a BT hub 6 on a Vodafone line? 

Unfortunately you can't. BT hubs are locked down to BT (plus Talk Talk & Plusnet). 

View more options
Highlighted

Hi all, just thought I'd chime in on this if anyones still active. 

Im at my wits end with bloody Vodafone, on the stock router, of which they have sent me two of them already believeing they were at fault, the internet its self cuts our every few hours, I've had it as bad as 1-2 dropouts every two hours!

I've been through support level 1 and tech support level 2 and 3! I cant even get a bloody stable line, I'm down to 23mbps down and 3mbps up and im still getting 1000's of CRC erros and 100's of thousands of FEC corrections in that time, having had both BT and Sky fibre on the past and an Openreach visit while with vodafone I know the line is fine.

Although I no longer have it, I did have an Asus VDSL router, which the supplied username and password given to me by Vodafone did not work, which I confimed with them in 6! different phone calls as being correct, I have also got a Home Hub 5 unlocked and running OpenWRT/Lede which ALSO gets Chap authentication rejected when trying to connect(same as the Asus).

I'm at my wits end of making this connection work, to the point that we will have to leave to another provider and pay more because currently I can't even skype call people without the internet dropping out! Let alone use it properly.

TLDR:

What have I tried -

Asus DSL-AC55U Router

Bt Home Hub 5 running the latest LEDE version (i.e unlocked running a varient of OpenWRT)

Two seperate Vodafone Connect routers supplied by Vodafone

----------------------------------------------------------------

Vlan ID - 101

Username  - dsl000******@broadband.vodafone.co.uk

Password - ********

Cloning Mac address of supplied official router

Both PPPoE and PPPoA

Running as DHCP Client while cloning mac address

---------------------------------------------------------

Result -

pppd[1954]: CHAP authentication failed: CHAP Auth Failure
pppd[1954]: CHAP authentication failed
pppd[1954]: Modem hangup
pppd[1954]: Connection terminated.

Again I don't see what I can do, they can't provide me with a service that actually works for longer than a few hours at a time, if even that(compared to BT providing me with 55mbps down and 6.5up stable for around 5 days at a time), and I can't get any router to authenticate with them using the details they provided having checked them 6 times and waited over two months for them to fix things with their own router(s)

Any suggestions as to how to make this incomprehensibly bad service work would be appreciated.

View more options
Highlighted

Hi. I changed my modem router to an Archer VR2800. I am still having the same disconnections as before and actually getting a lower speed than with original VF unit! 25 down and 13 up. I just despair! 

There is a dedicated IPTV mode on the router where you can set up a specific port to run IPTV. Have tried to set it up but when I do I lose the tv. It asks for a VLAN value between 102 and 4094 but when I set it to a random value between those parameters there is nothing coming through on IPTV. 

The internet is set up on a VLAN value of 101 and connects fine. Reason I'm trying this is that the set up manual reckons that IPTV will run much smoother and internet browsing will be easier too. Anyone with any ideas on VLAN values ot IPTV set up I'd be grateful. 

View more options
Highlighted

@UnPotat if your speed is lower than your advertised minimum speed and not resolved within 28days  then you can exit the contract without penalty, see this document for more details. 
If that doesn't work then you could try and terminate under the "quality of services" clause in the contract (quoted below)

Because of the quality of our services. If the service is materially degraded for an unreasonable period of time or if we don’t do something fundamental that we should have done under this Agreement within 7 days of you asking us in writing you may be able to leave the Agreement early without paying a termination fee. P

I don't imagine Vodafone will let this happen easily though so you'll have to be prepared to fight it and even go through the ombudsman if required.

View more options
Highlighted

@UnPotat - just a couple of things to try.  Not sure you need to clone the mac address. Whether or not this will have an effect or not, I'm not sure.  For the username and password - get Vodafone to send it in an email on on chat of they haven't already.  There's been a few case where 0/O, I/l etc. get confused.

Connection should be PPPoE

I've never used the BT HH or a custom firmware, but it's worth checking the modem part and ensuring this works as it should with the custom firmware - i.e. does it get a DSL connection and hold this (regardless of you authenticating and getting an internet connection)

Good luck.

View more options
Highlighted

Hi UnPotat

I have done all the stuff with VF re user and password etc. It is connecting spot on, but I am paying for 76mbps. Not that I thought I would ever achieve that but was promised around 55mbps. It has been at that initially but then dropped to 33mbps (all this on the up) and now down to 25 according to the router stats, but having performed a broadband speed test directlt plugged into the router it is showing 19mbps now!!!

The Archer shows a max speed of 45mbps for the line with attenuation of 15 with an SNR margin of 12.3db .

I think I am going to speak to VF and ask them to test the line, but will put back the VF router as they claim not to support any 3rd party ones.

The IPTV is odd as the IPTV box shows an ethernet connection active and the router shows IPTV active with a VLAN value setting of 2000.

Cant understand why it is not streaming.

View more options
Highlighted

@Bunn sounds like you have grounds to leave the contract without charge under the Ofcom Broadband Speed Voluntary Code of Practice (see link in my previous post)

View more options
Highlighted

@Nabs

@MrWhite

Hey, thanks for the help all :), I've actually been able to resolve the issue, at least in terms of routers, I took your advice and this time went onto Live Chat rather than over the phone, turns out what people on the phone were saying were L's were actually upper case i's, even though I had called them many times and confirmed it letter by letter T_T

I've not asked them to reset the line yet and to change the SNR manually I'd have to SSH into this router/modem so for now I'm going to leave it at its current speed and see if the disconnects stop, if they do I'll note down the SNR margins and ask them to reset the line to see if it settles at a higher speed with this router.

Feels good to finally be on my own hardware and at least a step in the right direction to having the internet work properly, this being the same hardware I used when with BT when it had 55mbps down so at least I can rule that out, at the very least if it stops the dropouts I'll be happy :Smiling:

So if anyone else here has had the same problem as me getting their own router to work, my advice is talk to them over live chat and copy the info into notepad(not wordpad), and then for safe keeping you can select that the chat be emailed to you afterwards :Smiling:

View more options
Highlighted

Glad you got it sorted.

View more options
Highlighted

Thanks  for the helpNabs. I will contact VF and see what they are prepared to do. KR's Bunn

View more options
Highlighted

Cheers its nice to have it setup properly at least :), I'll have to have a think if I'm going to have them reset the line or not, I mean curently its like this - 

Line State: showtime_tc_sync [0x801]
Line Mode: G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Annex: B
Profile: 17a
Data Rate: 22.400 Mb/s / 3.198 Mb/s
Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR): 40.466 Mb/s / 7.334 Mb/s
Latency: 15.0 ms / 8.0 ms
Line Attenuation (LATN): 25.5 dB / 26.2 dB
Signal Attenuation (SATN): 23 dB / 26.1 dB
Noise Margin (SNR): 10.6 dB / 14.3 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power(ACTATP): 1.1 dB / 11.4 dB
Forward Error Correction Seconds (FECS): 25559 / 110
Errored seconds (ES): 0 / 1622
Severely Errored Seconds (SES): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal Seconds (LOSS): 3 / 0
Unavailable Seconds (UAS): 400 / 400
Header Error Code Errors (HEC): 0 / 0
Non Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRC_P): 2 / 0
Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRCP_P): 0 / 0
Line Uptime: 6h 25m 49s
ATU-C System Vendor ID: Broadcom 164.140
Power Management Mode: L0 - Synchronized

The numbers look allright in terms of errors to me, I can't imagine it dropping the line with it like this, although it does worry me that it still gets errors at this speed, as on the same line using the same router back when I was on BT Fibre it was at 50-55down and stable, so I don't see how changing provider would change that(obviously im not paying for above 36mbps but still) as I thought pretty much everything aside from authentication was Openreach.

View more options
Highlighted

Just a quick reply as I thought I'd update you lot so anyone thinking of using their own router knows how things went.

Been a little while now since I started using it, the line automatically started upping the speed after a few days and its now at 35 down 6 up and totally stable, its still on interleved as before and still has a high FEC error count, but it appears the new router is handling it all perfectly, unlike the Vodafone one which would drop out ever 2-3 hours even at 22down 3 up. Currently on almost 3 days actual uptime of the line, and thats only because before that it would reset and put the line speed up each time, very happy.

So to sum up, I'm now a happy customer, may have had to struggle to get the correct info and get things working, but since changing routers everythings resolved its self without any intervention at all. 

View more options
Highlighted

Hi UnPotat

Glad you are sorted now. Just to update you guys I went through tech 1 and 2. VF agreed down speed at 19 to 25 was too low and under their guaranteed min. Engineer attended and rewired the in house socket and checked connection outside the house. Went to box about 150 metres away and reconnected there. Result was that he measured 80 mbps at the box which then diluted down to 45 at home. Loads of errors showing on router stats but connection totally stable. Guess the new router is coping well. I am a happy bunny now too. 

Bunn

View more options