Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Help connecting netgear wifi extender

breuddwyd
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a netgear wifi extender AC1200, previously used fine with a BT router.

Since moving to Vodafone the extender cannot access the internet, it continually says the password is incorrect.

The password is not incorrect, as I have meticulously entered it and checked it matches, as well as proved it is the correct password as I have copied and pasted the same into the direct wifi connection to the router and got online fine, but when I copied and pasted same into the wifi extender's connection and it says incorrect password.

I have completed a factory reset of the netgear -multiple times- to be sure, reconnected via wps, it connects to the router but it just wont accept the password.

This seems to be an issue with vodafone's router as a google brings up multiple people complaining of the issue when changing routers to vodafone, and it is not their password entry error and they near all say they have done a factory reset too as instructed and they say they get stuck with the same problem as I have.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@everyone
thankyou for replying, but having checked multiple times I had done absolutely everything correctly, and having had a netgear extender work with the BT router and not the vodafone, and having managed to easily link within seconds a different brand extender, it was clear the problem was vodafone's router connecting with netgear and there was no way to fix it. If anyone else finds this thread they can save themselves the umpteen hours trying and trying to connect something that doesn't connect and send it back for a refund and get a different model.

View solution in original position

34 REPLIES 34

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@breuddwyd wrote:

I have completed a factory reset of the netgear -multiple times- to be sure, reconnected via wps, it connects to the router but it just wont accept the password.

WPS doesn't require a password to be entered, so I don't understand that statement.

I'm not sure why you think I said WPS needed a password, I said when I try to connect to the network the password is labelled "incorrect", and I explained how I did a factory reset and reconnected the extender to the router by pressing the WPS and that still made no difference when I went to connect again, it still informed me when selecting the wifi extender channels (both 2 and 5) that the password was incorrect.
If I hadn't said that people would have advised me to do things I have already done, there are other threads where people have had the same problem and the advice was to check the password (so I'm making sure you know I have done this and it absolutely is the correct password from the base of the router, typed correctly) and to do a factory reset (so I listed the steps I did there).

Ripshod

Some routers do need a password for WPS (typically an eight digit number). It's not the same as the WiFi password so you'll need to go into the router's GUI to find it. 

There's no WPS problem, the netgear device connects as it should when the WPS button is pressed, but when you try to connect a device to the extender's wifi channels, the password (which should be the same as the routers- taken from the base, which is working fine, the message you get is the incorrect password has been used.
I set this extender up with the bt  router, it was uncomplicated, power on, wps to connect, use the routers password for the new channel, simples. It's not working for the vodafone despite everything being done correctly as per th device's instructions, including a factory reset which you are advised to do when connecting to a new router with new password

Ripshod

Sorry for the confusion.

I've no personal experience of netgear extenders but I also recall plenty of accounts of them not linking, with no resolution.

However, I do remember someone managed to get a bt disc connected and working but we never saw any actual evidence.

I wonder if Vodafone are playing jiggery pokery with the firmware to lock out non-vf stuff (hunch). 

Jayach

Sorry, I misunderstood the comment "reconnected via wps, it connects to the router but it just wont accept the password."

Which model of Netgear Wi-Fi extender do you have?

Have you tried setting an easier/different Wi-Fi password in the router.? I always change mine to something easier to remember. (whilst still being difficult to guess)

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:

Some routers do need a password for WPS (typically an eight digit number). It's not the same as the WiFi password so you'll need to go into the router's GUI to find it. 

There's no such number in the Vodafone router, 

Jayach_0-1682816629967.png

CrimsonLiar

Most Netgear extenders have a recessed reset switch, I'm not aware of the "Power-Up with WPS continuously pressed" process working on Netgear equipment (it works on my Asus RP-AX56 and I think it works on the GT-AX6000 too).

You are usually better off with Netgear extenders, once you've reset them, using a device to connect to the extender on it's own SSID "NETGEAR_EXT" with password "password" - if it's not broadcasting it's own SSID at this point then it's not been reset!  You'll then log into the extenders Web page using the default Netgear username "admin" and password "password" (why!!!!).  With access to it's WEB UI you can then click on the "New Extender Setup" button.

calamitymaria
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello I have the same problem did you ever resolve please?