Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High latency and packet loss

J141
3: Seeker
Hi Everyone, The past week or so but particularly the past 4 days I have been seeing packet loss of up to 35% from about 4pm onwards usually until about 11pm also my latency to the gatway IP has doubled from 4ms to 8-10ms (this is 24x7) its making the connection very intermittent and unusable at times. Im 99% sure its not anything my side as a friend in the area is having the same issues. I am getting these stats from my firewall, I dont use the Vodafone router. The Vodafone broadband checker says there are no issues and its next to impossible to get through to anyone on support chat. This is using the Cityfiber Vodafone network, is anyone else having issues or know of a better way to raise this with Vodafone? Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

J141

Network graph here: https://postimg.cc/8sqSt7f7

Network graph from just today showing its pretty bad: https://postimg.cc/Sj95QDjK

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I guess the important question would be what type of activity is your network involved in when packet loss happens.  When the packet loss is happening what effects on your activities are you seeing?

Nothing out of the ordinary compared to the rest of the day, its the 900/900 connection

Network usage for the period, nothing major: https://postimg.cc/06DzVTcS

To give you an idea of what's happening (I'm the friend who is a few streets over from J141, and experiencing the same issue)....
Websites take an age to load (for fibre 900).  What would usually load in under a second, can take 10-15.
Watching videos on Reddit is impossible.  Click a link, now wait 5 minutes for a 2 minute video to buffer enough to make it watchable.
Cannot use VPN at all.  It will connect, but good luck loading anything once it's connected.
I do a lot of sim racing - the packet loss has been causing my link deteriote to the point that cars dissappear, or rubber-band to the point where it's impossible to race clean.

The packet loss in the evenings is just abysmal.  Over 20%.  That's really not good, you guys.

Whatever the issue is, it's with the WAN in our area.  We've been experiencing this for a week now.

I've got a ticket (re)open(ed) on my account, but the one call I've had from a Tech2 technician has been at 08:30 in the morning when the network has settled back down and appears ok (who then resolved the ticket stating my LAN was the issue - not true).  I've had a first line tech (Nikhil - top bloke) run a test and has seen an issue with the link, but the Tech2 guy couldn't see anything wrong.  We need an engineer in the area asap pls.

apologies if this is a duplicate post, I think my previous was removed for some reason? it might be because I posted a screenshot of me on an hour of wait time to the wfx team but otherwise I am facing the same issue, vodafone say they know about it but cannot give a timescale on how long it will be before it is fixed, I have had a ticket raised after the 3rd time of speaking to the wfx team and they say it will be 3 days to have it looked at and someone will be in contact with me "very soon" whatever that means. I've had the issue almost ignored via social media telling me to call and being unable to help me, I called before they told me to email a week ago and still no response from the wfx team, the live chat people say call, everyone says call but then you get told they know and they're fixing it but I assume this is done so there's no record in writing that they're fobbing you off. I'll give it 3 days as I have a ticket reference with confirmation text, if not fixed I'll look into leaving. 

Hi, please can you tell me what software you're using to get that graph? I want to also keep a personal record and support you here.

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all! We're in the process of collating examples of high latency speeds with our Gigafast services to investigate this further. If you haven't already, please reach out to our Social Media team here and they'll be able to raise your account to the relevant team to get this investigated for you 🙂