Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Home broadband

Finlay1971
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My Vodafone connect hub isn't really doing the job and with several users in the home decided to purchase a Netgear X6 R8000 to help with this. Used Vodafone hub as router and all seems okay on TV streaming side but wouldn't say it was fantastic. Just wondering if I need to change the Vodafone modem and get an entirely new one. 

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends on what you mean when you say the set up is not fantastic!

The Vodafone modem/router cannot be placed into a modem only/bridge mode - the settings to this are not (currently) there.  This means that you end up "double NATing", which either works or it doesn't.  If it doesn't work then the solution is to get a separate modem if you are on FTTC VDSL or if you are on Gigafast plug the new router into the ONT/(G)PON directly  as currently being discussed in https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-connection/Gigafast-Broadband-Netgear-x6-R8000/td-p/268564... 

*At launch the router you have couldn't express a VLAN ID on the WAN port, which is needed for it to use a Gigafast connection - hopefully this omission has been removed in later firmware - if indeed it even impacts you!

More info on the connection "not being fantastic" would be great!

The biggest issue is that my son cannot now connect his gaming pc which is located in our sunnroom and therfore furthest away from the router. Prior to this we had a tp Re450 extender that allowed him to connect and game but since moving to the new netgear router despite the extender picking up the new 5G-2 band it won't successfully connect on his pc. I am now wondering whether it is a compatability issue  between the extender and the new triband router (I had read that with these you should have a triband compatible extender) or a legacy issue left over from the old voldafone setup. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't need a tri-band extender, that is simply BS, your client devices only connect to one band at a time (unless you have some VERY exotic devices)!  The key here may be "will not connect successfully".  If he is getting a connection and can browse the web, but cannot play online games, then it's possible that you are suffering one of the consequences of double NAT (regulars on here must think I sound like a stuck record).  IF that is the case and you are on a VDSL/FTTC connection then the simplest answer is to get a VDSL2 modem, along with your username and password, and completely ditch the VF modem/router (keep it in the cupboard because if you have connection issues VF will not even entertain support on 3rd party devices).

Let us all know if that helps!

Have just gone through the process with him once again to see what exactly the message he is getting. When he tries to connect to netgear 5G-2 it comes back with 'Unable to connect to this network' . That is the one that is tethered to the extender. The other 5G-1 and also 2.4 GHz networks do seem to be available but only the 2.4GHz one appears to be able to connect presumably because it has a better reach. 

Not an option I am afraid as his gaming Pc is in the sun lounge but we could place the extender in here and run an ethernet cable from there to his machine. Would that help? 

I'm not sure, if the extender allows you to use the ethernet port as a connection it would help with signal but I'm not sure if that's what the problem is here. One thing I would check is that the extender isn't still configured for the old router, if you haven't already, try resetting the extender and setting it up again to rule that out

It was originally but reconfigured to ensure it was picking up the new netgear router and renamed with new network with suffix '. Ext'. 

Find a way to run a long ethernet cable to his PC, he will love it!