Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Homebridge devices go unresponsive

Colwl
3: Seeker

I use Homebridge to enable Apple HomeKit to control air conditioners, television and Sky Q box. 
They work for a while then go unresponsive. If I reboot the router they start to work again. 
I've looked at the log file and there are numerous entries in red which I have no clue what they mean. 
Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

iOS is Apples Mobile operating system and both my aging iPhone Xs and iPad Pro are on iOS 17.7.
My 12 year old Macmini can't go beyond MacOS 10.15 Catalina if that's what you meant. 

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

There's nothing to say what you are seeing is because it's running on a Mac Mini, and this will infuriate any Apple cult members, but I'd probably move Homekit to a dedicated (genuine) Raspberry Pi 4 or 5.  It doesn't have to be a top of the line model.  Just personal opinion/preference at this point!
*Says the person using a Friendly|Elec NanoPC-T6 (RK3588) mini server - don't do this it took FE almost a year to come up with an out-the-box stable OS, RPi is a much better/robust way to start!

I'd love a Raspberry pie however I'm a pensioner and as this current government are taking away our heating allowance every penny counts! However that's another story and this isn't a political platform. 
So I have to stick with all my aging Apple devices. Pleased to say it's all running smoothly this morning. I say Siri good morning and she replies and puts Boom radio on. I then asked Siri turn on the tv and put Sky Cricket on and she did. So fingers crossed it will stay. If it does crash again I'll make a fresh backup and do a factory reset. 

Colwl

I may have solved the issue!

A couple of days ago several Homebridge devices went 'unresponsive'. I unplugged the router and left it for a good ten minutes before plugging it back in and rebooting. To my horror devices were still unresponsive. Long story short, I eventually unplugged my Vodafone booster and again left it for ten minutes.  After it rebooted everything was responsive and 2 days later still are! 🤞🏻

So it looks like you need to unplug not just the modem but boosters as well!

CrimsonLiar

Keeping fingers crossed for you!  I've a couple of smarts here that do the same with the Asus AiMesh extender if the rooter reboots, but the extender doesn't.  No guarantees, it's something so innocuous that it just never sprang to my mind!