Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How to Set up a third party router with vodafone

gipjon
16: Advanced member

IF YOU ARE USING A THIRD-PARTY ROUTER THAT WORKS 100% WITHOUT BUGS.PLEASE PM ME THE MAKE AND MODEL SO I CAN UPDATE THE LIST

The first thing you need to do is ask Vodafone for your username and password. live chat with Vodafone is best because you can copy and paste the name and password into the router. ( some users did write it down wrong. password is lower and upper case. username watch out for zero and o )

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/contact-us/index.htm

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

FTTC SETTING         ( FTTP is below FTTC)

The setting is the same for all the routers it's down to the isp (the setting page will be laid out differently but the setting are still the same, eg

Vodafone setting are

Vlan ID - 101

enable 802.1q (not on every router)

Username  - ******@broadband.vodafone.co.uk

Username - ******@businessbroadband.vodafone.co.uk  ( for business customers )

Password - ********

PPPoE

MTU Size : 1492

rest of the setting auto detect when the router and the dslam are negotiating with each other

List of third party router that work well with vodafone will update as more router are confirmed working 100%

asus ac68u                              ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual band Wifi 

ASUS DSL-AC55U                   ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

DrayTek Vigor 130:                 ADSL and VDSL modem with Ethernet ( UK model )

Draytek 2762 VDSL

Draytek 2862 Series

Fritzbox 3490

technicolor tg589vac :             ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

Netgear D6400-100UKS         ADSL & VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band AC1600 Wifi  + beamforming

Netgear rbk40  :                       ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + Tri-Band technology

Netgear D6220                        ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual band Wifi 

Netgear Nighthawk D7800    ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual band Wifi 

Technicolor DGA4231/DGA2231 is actually the Vodafone THC3000/THC3000g

TP-Link Archer VR2800

TP-Link AC 1600                      ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

TP-Link TL-Link Archer VR400 V3 AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Dual Band

TP-Link VR600                        ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

TP-Link W9970                        ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

Zyxel VMG3925-B10B

List of routers with WIFI 6 that works well  

None listed as yet 

IF YOU ARE USING A THIRD-PARTY ROUTER THAT WORKS 100% WITHOUT BUGS.PLEASE PM ME THE MAKE AND MODEL SO I CAN UPDATE THE LIST

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gigafast 

Openreach the VLAN will be 101 or not required

CityFibre, the VLAN will be 911 or possibly not used.

Mtu 1492

PPPoE 

Username - *******

Password - ********

List of routers that works well with Gigafast

Asus RT-AC86U 

Cisco 5506-X

Linksys EA9500

netgear nighthawk ar500

FRITZ!Box 7530

TP-link M4 deco system

TP-Link Archer AC2300 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (Plug ONT cable into Internet port, run Autodetect > PPPoE > add username/pass = connected at full speed), no need for VLAN IDs

TP-Link Archer VR400 V3 AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Dual Band (1st Advanced tab, change the Operation Mode to Wireless Router Mode (the ONT is acting as a modem, hence it will not work if you are in DLS Modem Router Mode). 2nd  Do not enable VLAN ID or it will not work! Vodafone will tell you to set it to 101, if you do this it will not work! Keep the default MTU size (1480), do not change it to 1492, as suggested in several posts in this thread, or it will not work!. 

Synolgy RT2600ac ( https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-connection/Synology-RT2600ac-Vodafone-Router-CityFibre-PPP... )

List of routers with WIFI 6  that works well 

RT-AX86U ?

(from user) I managed to connect Asus DSL-AX82U modem/router and use it without Vodafone Wi-Fi hub finally. When use Asus router tutorial choose network provider as BT - Infinity. VLAN ID come up automatically as 101 then just copy your Vodafone username and password

362 REPLIES 362

benweinberger
3: Seeker

1) Does it not seem a bit ridiculous that one would have to purchase a 3rd party router rather than use the one provided by vodafone?

2) Who exactly do we need to speak to in order to get that login information for our account? I assume it is hidden and/or not identifiable within the existing vodafone router config.

gipjon

Read the first post again lol

The first thing you need to do is ask vodafone for your user name and password . live chat with vodafone is best because you can copy and paste the name and password into the router.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/contact-us/index.htm

Is there any known good modem that has poe support about? Need to buy a modem to get rid of the vf one as is starting to play upWas thinking to get a unifi ap ac pro for my house and to keep all the wires tidy so I won’t buy an injector or anyone uses those ap? What is your setup cheers

gipjon

I don't find much wrong with the Vodafone vox3000 .

It will stay connected at very low SNR 

I did see some thing some where that said you can only have some thing like 16 device's connected on 2g WiFi and 25 device's connected on 5g WiFi 

The old Vodafone  router was a piece of junk . 

OK, I saw this when checking a few settings and it came up on Google, but even though it's a 2019 post it's still very relevant in 2021.

There are many reasons why people may want to use a differnet router to the one supplied by Vodafone but for me the main one is that the Vodafone router is ***accessible by Vodafone*** and uses firmware tailored to them - i.e. it is not locked down and fully secure, *they* can update firmware, reset settings, etc. Great if you've no idea, but not if you like to be in control of your setup.

The Vodafone router's DHCP Server is not very configurable.

The Vodafone router is very limited on setup capability, e.g. VPN, Firewall, DMZ settings, for Guest logins.

Things like device bandwidth limitation, blacklisting / whitelisting, etc. are also not there.

Ports are 100BaseT rather than Gigabit - limits data to/from any NAS you have connected, and if using a Mesh network then it can form a bottleneck, whereas on a Gb line it's no problem.

For about £70 you can get something like an TP-Link Archer VR400 which has gigabit ports and great setup capability, meaning everything this side of the DSL line is secure and efficiently managed.

Don't get me wrong, the Vodafone router is damned good for a freebie, but it's not for everyone, especially enthusiasts or IT people configuring their home network.

Hope this helps 🙂

Neil.

Cynric

On the VF THG3000 router the four LAN ports are gigabit.

Mashymoo

Hi all,

i have a netgear R7000 running dd-wrt. I’ve tagged the wan port of the router in vlan 911 but I’m still getting no joy. Is anyone else running dd-wrt with gigafast successfully? Cheers

FatRakoon

I have been using an ASUS RT-N56U Router alongside the supplied Vodafone one, using the Voda as just the Modem.

Previously I used an ASUS DSL-N55U and that is the Modem also version of the 56 I suppose ( does not seem to be ANY difference in their functions )

Since getting hold of the username and password for my ASUS Modem, I was overjoyed, however, I have yet to be able to connect.

There seems to be a whoel host of options that I am not  in posession of, such as LLC or VC_MUX, VPI, VCI and so on... I have been trying out so many things in the last coupel of days on and off, and its a killer trying to work out if this Modem is even useable with Voda? I have also tried all the default setups such as SKY, BT, and the like, and just editted those settings, but again nothing.
The Vodafone own router takes around 2 minutes to log on from being powered off, tis is by far, the lognest that any provider has ever done, and so I try to give the ASUS as much time as I can... It does try connecting bu tthen it comes back with internet down.
I have also tried AUTOSETTING, and this tries to gather the protocols etc but the modem, keeps telling me that it is not even connected to the phone line? ( Yes, I have checked this modem at 2 of my mates houses, on SKY and on TalkTalk and its fine )
So I have a horrible feeling that this mode, is NOT compatible with Vodafone.
One other small annoyance, is that I could not find the PSU and so as I love this router so much, I just bought another one, just because I need a PSU.... Its not even here yet and I just found the PSU.
Typical.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@FatRacoon Hi the problem with the Asus DSL-N55U is that it does not have a VDSL capable modem only an ADSL modem, and as such is incompatible with VFs FTTC service.  Sorry, but there is no way to get this working with the service that you have!