Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How to Set up a third party router with vodafone

gipjon
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

IF YOU ARE USING A THIRD-PARTY ROUTER THAT WORKS 100% WITHOUT BUGS.PLEASE PM ME THE MAKE AND MODEL SO I CAN UPDATE THE LIST

The first thing you need to do is ask Vodafone for your username and password. live chat with Vodafone is best because you can copy and paste the name and password into the router. ( some users did write it down wrong. password is lower and upper case. username watch out for zero and o )

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/contact-us/index.htm

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

FTTC SETTING         ( FTTP is below FTTC)

The setting is the same for all the routers it's down to the isp (the setting page will be laid out differently but the setting are still the same, eg

Vodafone setting are

Vlan ID - 101

enable 802.1q (not on every router)

Username  - ******@broadband.vodafone.co.uk

Username - ******@businessbroadband.vodafone.co.uk  ( for business customers )

Password - ********

PPPoE

MTU Size : 1492

rest of the setting auto detect when the router and the dslam are negotiating with each other

List of third party router that work well with vodafone will update as more router are confirmed working 100%

asus ac68u                              ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual band Wifi 

ASUS DSL-AC55U                   ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

DrayTek Vigor 130:                 ADSL and VDSL modem with Ethernet ( UK model )

Draytek 2762 VDSL

Draytek 2862 Series

Fritzbox 3490

technicolor tg589vac :             ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

Netgear D6400-100UKS         ADSL & VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band AC1600 Wifi  + beamforming

Netgear rbk40  :                       ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + Tri-Band technology

Netgear D6220                        ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual band Wifi 

Netgear Nighthawk D7800    ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual band Wifi 

Technicolor DGA4231/DGA2231 is actually the Vodafone THC3000/THC3000g

TP-Link Archer VR2800

TP-Link AC 1600                      ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

TP-Link TL-Link Archer VR400 V3 AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Dual Band

TP-Link VR600                        ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

TP-Link W9970                        ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual-band Wifi 

Zyxel VMG3925-B10B

List of routers with WIFI 6 that works well  

None listed as yet 

IF YOU ARE USING A THIRD-PARTY ROUTER THAT WORKS 100% WITHOUT BUGS.PLEASE PM ME THE MAKE AND MODEL SO I CAN UPDATE THE LIST

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gigafast 

Openreach the VLAN will be 101 or not required

CityFibre, the VLAN will be 911 or possibly not used.

Mtu 1492

PPPoE 

Username - *******

Password - ********

List of routers that works well with Gigafast

Asus RT-AC86U 

Cisco 5506-X

Linksys EA9500

netgear nighthawk ar500

FRITZ!Box 7530

TP-link M4 deco system

TP-Link Archer AC2300 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (Plug ONT cable into Internet port, run Autodetect > PPPoE > add username/pass = connected at full speed), no need for VLAN IDs

TP-Link Archer VR400 V3 AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Dual Band (1st Advanced tab, change the Operation Mode to Wireless Router Mode (the ONT is acting as a modem, hence it will not work if you are in DLS Modem Router Mode). 2nd  Do not enable VLAN ID or it will not work! Vodafone will tell you to set it to 101, if you do this it will not work! Keep the default MTU size (1480), do not change it to 1492, as suggested in several posts in this thread, or it will not work!. 

Synolgy RT2600ac ( https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-connection/Synology-RT2600ac-Vodafone-Router-CityFibre-PPP... )

List of routers with WIFI 6  that works well 

RT-AX86U ?

(from user) I managed to connect Asus DSL-AX82U modem/router and use it without Vodafone Wi-Fi hub finally. When use Asus router tutorial choose network provider as BT - Infinity. VLAN ID come up automatically as 101 then just copy your Vodafone username and password

365 REPLIES 365

Hi there,

is this for a gigafast connection? I apologise I should have asked that first, I made an assumption.

thanks,

Sam

No, it's for the superfast broadband - 66Mbps, or whatever it is supposed to be.

Would you mind sending a screenshot of the internet connection set up page please? Redact then username and password section. Thanks.

I've just done a factory reset (paperclip in the hole!), and ran the basic config wizard again - and it's worked! This is using VLAN 101. I have no idea how or why. The details are exactly the same as I had entered before for the username and password, and the only edits I was making earlier was the VLAN from 101 to 911 and back to 101.

Thanks for your very speedy replies - fingers-crossed this is all I need to do! So far a speed test shows my full expected speed!

I have tried 3rd party routers with not much luck. I have giga fast so I have a little modem for the fibre coming into the house. The solution I’ve found that has worked very well is BT whole home 3 disks mesh Wi-Fi. So Vodafone hub doing all the work with Wi-Fi switched off and the 3 BT disks doing all the Wi-Fi work. I have all the disks connected via Ethernet to the Vodafone hub. Over Ethernet I get 900down and 900 up over BT WiFi I get about 550 down and 650 up. That setup has worked perfectly for several months now. With great Wi-Fi coverage over the entire house/garden. BT also do an upgraded whole home now with better Wi-Fi backhaul if you can’t connect them with Ethernet. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

The DSL-AC68U has been available for years, there is no released version of the DSL-AC86U, though there is some suggestion that a similar device that uses the German phone system may have been in testing.

When getting the username and password from Vodafone, make sure that it is in the right format.  Get them to copy and paste into chat or email - way too often do they give the incomplete info, or just the wrong info!

The VLAN tags for gigafast are different often 911, but depending on where in the country you are that is not always the case.  And on Gigafast you'll need to enter the VLAN tags via the IPTV settings page of many routers!

ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - Internet Connection.jpg

The basic settings for my RT-AC86U connected to a Draytek Vigor 130 on Superfast 2.  Note that the DNS settings are non-standard and will not work unless you have your own DNS servers at those addresses!

You should be able to use a router set up as an access point if it's plugged into the VF router, but the VF router with all its issues is still "in charge" of the network.  But just if you leave the new router in router mode and plug it into VF router, you can get oddities caused by Double Natting  (NAT: Network Address Translation).  It might seem like it's working but suddenly things won't quite work - especially games consoles!

Apologies for the novice question - I am on super fast 2 and wanted to replace the VF router with a Asus RT-AC86U.

Would i be right to think that this would require a modem alike the Draytek Vigor 130 mentioned earlier in the thread?

Thanks in advance.

802.1Q = ENABLE
VLAN ID = 101
802.1P = 0

For what it is worth, when I first joined Voda, they said I could have the info for the router... NOPE!
I went nuts about that, but hey ho.
When they finally did allow it, I grabbed it off them and I could not get the info to work no matter what

In the end, I found out that the guy who told me the info had got a couple of characters wrong in both the Password and the username.

Obviously, Im not telling you what the full details are, but he had mistaken a "1" and an "i" and an "l"
Annoyingly, when I reset my router not too long ago, I fell at the same hurdle and what I had done, is editted the doc that contained my username but I forgot to change the password too! - Idiot.

Hi All,

I'm trying to connect my Linksys WRT3200ACM to my Vodafone modem but the internet connection between the router and modem isn't working. I've set up a PPPoE connection with the username and password I got from Vodafone but still no dice. The router shows that it doesn't have a working internet connection and the Voda modem's internet light is blinking red (but i do have a working internet connection from the modem). Am I missing something else? TIA.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Vodafone don't supply a modem, just their combo modem+router.  You can either get a separate modem or use your router as an access point and turn off the WiFi on the Vodafone device (which still give you all the issues of the VF modem router!)