Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How to apply a static ip address?

Shjoffice
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi there

I asked from vodafone a static ip address, and they emailed me one.

I was trying to apply it to my router (I have the new one) and I can't do it. I tried by IP4V to put in the new static ip address,  but than I checked online, and I had a different ip address.

Any solution? 

19 REPLIES 19

Jayach
16: Advanced member

It is not possible for you to apply the address, it has to be done by Vodafone. Basically they will put your static address in their DHCP server and it will hand it to your router. Have you rebooted the router since being given the address as that should trigger your router to get it.

If you don't get it after a reboot, they have done something wrong.

Edit: I should say I have no definitive proof that that is how it works, but I can't see any other way,

I also have this. I am using my own router though with a bt openzone vdsl modem. I would have thought i would simply be given allocated the same ip address based on my userid details but so far i keep getting radom ip addresses. They have done this twice for me now, but i'm getting nowhere. They have given me the static ip address, but I can't see a way of putting that into my router, without authentication. Am I missing something here?
Ben

Ripshod

There's a very good chance it won't work if you try to force it. Can you plug in your vodafone router overnight to see if it happens? (though my static IP worked fine). What is the ip that's currently showing? It may be that you're seeing the ip assigned to the router by the modem and not your public IP. If that doesn't work you need to raise this again with vodafone. 

I actually am plugging in my Vodafone router tonight to do just this. Only then will I know if the IP allocation works. I'll let you know. Was hoping to avoid this step bit think I have to do it..

So plugged voda router back in.. rebooted a few times, used the reconnect option as well, unplugged and plugged back telephone lead, and yes wan ip changed various times. so no, static ip is not being allocated

Ripshod

How long does the email say you have to wait for the static IP to be activated? Iirc it's a few days but it's been a while since I got mine so my memory may be fudged. It only took a few hours at that time but it's best to work to what vf say with these things. I'll have to search my old emails.

Keep the vf router hooked up until you get this sorted. If double NAT doesn't bother you just plug the WAN from your own router to the vf router and turn off the vf WiFi.

*edit*

Just dug out the old email and there's no mention of a time period. 

thank you for suggestion, but this has been going on for weeks.  double nat is an issue so can't leave it running unfort.

but am i right, that it is simple dhcp bind based on your userid, so nobody needs to do make any settings changes on any router i'm assuming ?

anyway back to vdf then.

Ripshod

As you've already noticed (when you tried manually setting the ip) it doesn't work like that. Yes it is tied to your user ID but I'm just wondering if it's also tied to the router's mac and/or serial these days. It's been a while since I've seen it mentioned on these forums tbh, and I wouldn't be surprised if things have changed. 

Give vf a plug again. 

How are you contacting them? I used the following link to bypass the TOBI AI on their chat and was sorted straight away. 

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd 

Cynric

@thombe I'd suggest plugging the VF router back in (yes again, sorry) but leave it there, possibly for 2 or 3 days. Your previous efforts may have not given the system time to get organised.