Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Latest black router USB file share

Ianbryant66
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi I have the newer large black router which is good day to day and have a WD MyCloud running on the network. I want to replace the WD MyCloud with a hard drive plugged in the router as only need local access to the files and more of a place to back up to.

the issue is I have been playing around and can get drives to be seen on the network but non of the files I have placed on these drives are able to be seen. It seem to just find the route of the drive. I have created new folders and then I can not see these off the router?

what am I doing wrong? I have tried USB sticks as exFat hard drives as exFat and even a SSD drive.

Could someone explained how to get this working please.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

When you do get it working you may be a bit disappointed as the USB ports seem to be only USB 2 so speeds will never be very fast. Probably more suited to printer sharing than files.

The way I got it to work was to create a drive letter in Windows (I assume you are using Windows).

Go to Sharing in the router and you should see your drive under drives. click on it and copy the path shown.

Mine is \\vodafone.broadband\Teclast_CoolFlash_1_048d .

Paste that into File manager and you should see the contents of the drive.

For some reason a couple of my PC's couldn't see the drive using it (probably DNS related) and I had to replace the "vodafone.broadband" with the routers IP address.

If you are using backup software then that may be all you need to know, but if you want a drive letter in Windows for it then once you have it showing in file manager follow the network icon on the left until you see the drive and right click on it and choose "Map network drive..".

That's how I did it, possibly not the correct way, but it worked for me.

Edit. I'm pretty sure my stick is NTFS formatted.

View solution in original position

20 REPLIES 20

Cynric

@Jayach Good. Version 1 is not something to have running.