Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Looking in to isp options witha few questions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im looking in to joining vodafone via Cityfibre the question i have is aslong as i have the admin and password login for router to gain accsess to there network. am i able to use as menny diffrent 3rd party routers as i like with the Cityfibre ONT, will i have to notify them every time i change router ? Its just im an external beta tester for Netgear and i some times have new routers every month and other times for few months at a time and i have an ND with netgear so i can not disclose to them what router i have at that present time untill the product has been released.

4 REPLIES 4

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Aaah, beta testers get my respect for the hidden work they do. 

Once you have your PPPoE login details (which vodafone are all too willing to give freely) you can use whatever compatible router you like. FTTP isn't like FTTC, in that disconnects cause no harm to the connection and won't trigger any alerts - within reason. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for that info just the last time i did PPPoE was with ADSL / VDSL line and didnt no if thy changed it so can Get Dynamically from ISP / Automatically from ISP via the ONT And swap and change when ever with out having to input the PPPoE in to the UI.

Jayach

No you can't 't get it dynamically from the ISP, that would be DHCP. You will need to input the PPPoE details into each router. (really shouldn't be a difficult task for a beta tester)

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was just a an enquiry as if i do go with vadafone it would be via city fiber and did not no if it was via DHCP on the ONT or PPPoE as i will be new to GPON. as i sed befor i havent delt with PPPoE for a long time since i hade a ADSL / VDSL line menny years ago, ive been a Virgin Media customer for 10 year now, the best place to ask for enquirys is ISP community. some of my engineering samples don't come with PPoE in the firmwair untill a few updates later.