Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pro II Broadband, Ultra Hub latency

JohnnyC1969
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Recently changed to Pro II Broadband, set up the Ultra Hub.

Using a Quest 3 with 6E, I am getting terrible latency on the 6GHz band which makes it unusable.

Very rarely my PC/Quest will connect on the 5GHz band and latency is absolutely fine. But as it's not possible to split bands this isn't a workable solution.

I've got around 10 devices connected on the 5GHz band, mostly Google Nest & plugs etc. Nothing intensive.
Only 3 devices on the 6GHz band, PC, & Quest 3 and a phone.
Latency on 5GHz is around 45ms, on 6GHz it's around 100ms.
Any reason why I get such awful latency on the 6GHz band?

Don't even get me started on the Booster that this package comes with, latency jumps up to 200ms, so that is now not used at all.

6 REPLIES 6

Cynric
16: Advanced member

Cynric

@JohnnyC1969  Just a thought, 6E max speed is about 9,000 Mbps but the broadband service is 1,000 Mbps so perhaps the router is having problems squeezing all of the traffic onto the internet. Also did you select WPA3 or WPA2 (assuming that they can be separated) because I have a memory of a thread in this forum about problems with WPA3.

The latency I'm getting on the 6GHz band is local WiFi only, no internet.

I'm pretty sure I'm using WPA2.

Cynric

@JohnnyC1969 Would it be possible to drop the PC and phone onto 5GHz leaving only the Quest on 6E?

I'd take a guess that the latency is shared between the PC & Quest. The game I tested with is rendered on the PC, streamed to the router, then streamed to the Quest. Both the PC & Quest are in the same room upstairs, with the router downstairs.

I'm tempted to try a known decent brand 6E router to see if that helps...

No solution.