cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pro II broadband 4G backup (not working?)

Ye
3: Seeker

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to confirm that the 4G backup is working as it is supposed to. Is there a way to see it connected in the settings of the router? I have checked and I do not see anything and the setup guide just asks you to connect and wait for a solid light. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ye

New router arrived and the issue has been resolved. One thing i have noticed is that you cannot just connect the 4G dongle to the hub when it's powered up. You have to connect it before otherwise it is not recognised. However, this is not the case if you use an adaptor and connect to the USB A port.

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

Jayach
16: Advanced member

There is not a great deal of experience of the Pro II router and backup on the forum at the moment.

Personally I would just disconnect the cable from the ONT and see if the backup takes over.

Ripshod

From what I've read elsewhere it can take 20-30 minutes for the router to failover to 4g. Certainly would be too late to save a flambéd steak. 

Cynric

30 mins!?!!? Makes you want to get a 4/5G hot-spot and get your own load balancer so that the switch-over is completed in 1 or 2 seconds.

Jayach

I believe the THG3000 had to reboot to switch to the 4G. (only from what I have read on here, I don't have it.)

Hopefully the new Pro II solution works better.

Ye

So I spoke to support about this and there is no way on the router to see the information. Which is strange as there is a section in the router settings for mobile. However, they assured me it is working as it was used on Boxing Day apparently. Additionally, I removed the fibre Ethernet cable and waited 15 mins and nothing happened. So either mine is not working as it is supposed to or the 20 mins comment is correct.

Ye

So i have an update here.

I was not convinced by what the support person was telling me (based on my previous update) so i spoke to another who sent me replacement 4G dongle. This one also failed to show it was connected to the router and when removing the internet cable, it failed to switch to 4G. Therefore, i wondered what would happen if i used the USB A port on the router, so i bought an adaptor and guess what, it worked. I was able to see the connection status of the 4G backup within the router configuration page and when i removed the internet cable it switched instantly to 4G.

So i called support and informed them of my findings. Initially i was told since it is working in the USB A port they will not send a new router. However, since i had to add an adaptor this was not the response i was hoping for. After a further discussion, the support person finally agreed to send me a new router.

For anyone else on Pro II, i would like to know if yours is working. The way you can tell without going in to the router config is by looking at the back of the router. You should see that the mobile LED light is lit.

I will test the new router when it arrives to see if it was a one off or a bigger problem...

Ye

New router arrived and the issue has been resolved. One thing i have noticed is that you cannot just connect the 4G dongle to the hub when it's powered up. You have to connect it before otherwise it is not recognised. However, this is not the case if you use an adaptor and connect to the USB A port.