Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Setting up ultra hub as an access point

Abs_olute1
3: Seeker

Hi

Would appreciate your help in setting up the extra router as an AP.

I have the thg3000 router and have acquired the new ultra hub as wanted to upgrade the router to improve my WiFi speeds as well as converage around the house. I am on a gigafast plan. After reading posts around some of the issues the new ultra hub has it now seems like it might be better to just use the ultra hub as an AP?

I assume just connect the ultra hub to one of the ethernet ports at the back of the thg3000 via an ethernet cable but what settings would I need on the ultra hub so it doesn't intefere with the router?

I have also requested a static ip as I do have cctv at my house. Dunno if that helps with what I need.

Also I do have a PoE injector, will that be sufficient to power the ultra hub or is that more for your standard AP.

Thanks for your help.

10 REPLIES 10

Abs_olute1

Hi

Don't suppose anyone is able to help with the settings etc?

Thanks

Go to settings on the ultra hub then click "Local Network" and give the router an IP address that doesn't conflict with any other devices on the network. Scroll down and turn off all the DHCP servers and connect it via a cable to your main router (dont use the WAN port on the ultra hub though). Make sure your main router has DHCP turned on so anything that connects to the wifi of the ultra hub will get an IP assigned by the main router.

Your ultra hub will say it has no internet because it has nothing coming through the WAN port but it will share the internet coming down the ethernet cable with the wifi. Because of this be sure to set up any boosters beforehand as the boosters require a proper internet connection and the VF app to set up. Once you've set your ultra hub up as an AP, you can access it via the IP address your assigned it earlier but the Vodafone app wont work.

Can I just confirm a few things apologies if this is simple stuff

"Go to settings on the ultra hub then click "Local Network" and give the router an IP address that doesn't conflict with any other devices on the network. Scroll down and turn off all the DHCP servers and connect it via a cable to your main router (dont use the WAN port on the ultra hub though). "

Ultra hub needs to be powered up as if being used as a normal router at this stage to set up the settings? I have an old version of the vf app so I could amend the channels. Will having the ultra hub powered up force me to update the app and I'll lose this privilege?

"Once you've set your ultra hub up as an AP, you can access it via the IP address your assigned it earlier but the Vodafone app wont work."

As above, if the old app and thg3000 is working properly I don't need to worry about this bit do I?

Hope it makes sense

Thank you so much. This is a game changer. Ultra Hub has a stupid limitation on upload VPN and I had to use  my ASU’s router but still wanted to use the WiFi boost I pay,  plus the 4g back up. I have now a full setup with my ASUS router , the ultra hub , 4 g back up and 5 boosters ( combinations of ASUS and Vodafone 6E booster) . Everything is working perfectly , except of course the ( totally bad written ) Vodafone broadband app. VPN server SUPER B as well- I checked also with Vodafone and with this setup the ultra hub will not get updates. Occasionally it will be good to connect the router with WAN so you can get firmware updates. 

STEVESMITH099
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have exactly the same setup THG3000 router provided by vodafone and a THG 3000 provided by a bod on Ebay for 10 quid!

All I did was connect from one of the 4 router outputs to the AP sockets and in settings on the AP turned off the DHCP. I also stuck the letters AP after the name of my normal network in the Access Point so that I could distinguish what was providing stronger signal in which area of the house, but you can keep the network names (and password) the same if you like. I kept everything else as per default I think. It's been like it two years now and never given a bit of trouble. Oh another thing is I have a desktop PC plugged in to the Access point as well, it acts like a network hub as well as shoving out WIFI.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@STEVESMITH099 wrote:

I have exactly the same setup THG3000 router provided by vodafone and a THG 3000 provided by a bod on Ebay for 10 quid!

All I did was connect from one of the 4 router outputs to the AP sockets and in settings on the AP turned off the DHCP. I also stuck the letters AP after the name of my normal network in the Access Point so that I could distinguish what was providing stronger signal in which area of the house, but you can keep the network names (and password) the same if you like. I kept everything else as per default I think.

Hopefully you changed the base address of the second router as well. You don't want 2 devices with the same address.

Also, if you want to use the USB shares on the main router, turn off sharing on the second router. (found that out the hard way)

• Thinking about it you are correct, I changed the IP address of the access point to 192.168.1.199, sharing was off by default, I didn’t feel the need to change it. I honestly haven’t touched it since I set it up, it just works.

How do you change the IP address of the AP?

Thank you.

Advanced settings / Local  network