Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

TEL Connection to Router Access Point

ruperta96
2: Seeker

I’ve recently got FTTP and moved my phone over too. I can now plug my phone into the back of my routers TEL socket and receive calls. 
Question: if I run an ethernet cable to the other end of the house and connect it to a second new router configured as an Access Point also with a TEL port, will the TEL socket on this access point work as it does on the main router that sits with the modem? 

4 REPLIES 4

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

No, it won't work like that. The phone needs connecting to the main (vodafone) router and the vodafone router can't be used behind another.

There is a way to get the telephone connection working over ethernet using a Grandstream ATA, but this requires a third party router. 

ruperta96

Many thanks Ripshod.  I bought a secondhand Vodafone Wifi Hub, model THG3000, which has a built-in ATA that I was going to use for both its WiFi and ATA features...  Plan B: Could I put a network switch after my modem, with two routers plugged into it? ie, [Modem >Switch>2no Routers]? I'd then use the TEL / ATA sockets on the supplied router (that the telephone already works on), and use he second router just fo Wifi... My worry is that that I'd need a static IP address to do this? Or, are Vodafone IP addresses static as standard? Thanks for your help! 

Ripshod

There's no modem. If you're wanting to go ONT>SWITCH>(TWO)ROUTERS That won't work either. Certainly for a switch, but if you're thinking of using 2 vodafone router's then no, router's won't work in parallel.

Another option is a long ethernet between the ONT and the router at your chosen phone location. That would work but may not be workable due to wifi coverage or LAN runs. . The second vodafone router you'll have will only ever be useful as a spare. 

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:
The second vodafone router you'll have will only ever be useful as a spare. 

It could be reconfigured to work as a wireless access point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH0NT9RLAvQ

But no way can you use it's TEL connection.