cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Struggling with landline number port out of Vodafone to a SIP provider - cupid code

sworrall
2: Seeker

I'm trying to port my landline number to another provider - in this case it is a SIP provider, so the landline is not being taken over.

My problem is that my SIP provider has submitted the porting request but Vodafone has rejected it since it has the wrong cupid code.  I think the cupid code is allocated by Ofcom and indentifies the provider's network.  Since Vodafone has acquired a number of providers - eg C&W, Energis, Thus etc, it has a number of cupid codes.  For each porting request that gets rejected I would be charged £20, so I am loath to go through all of the codes that Ofcom lists, and I'm not even sure if this list is complete.  I can't understand why Vodafone can't simply look at my phone number and recognise which network it is on and then do the port.  The SIP provider has had problems like this before with Vodafone and has asked me to call Vodafone and find out the code.  Customer services aren't much use as they had never heard of cupid codes.  Has anyone else had any joy with this or recommendations?  Hopefully someone from VF might be able to help if they monitor these boards.

31 REPLIES 31

Just to add to this, I've had EXACTLY the same experience as others. I've joined the Forum is desperation today, that someone at Vodafone can actually take this on and supply the required CUPID code for my landline.

Customer Services can't help, I've been told there's a 'GNP' team that can help - but they're not customer-facing so aren't available via web chat or telephone. I've emailed them with no acknowledgement or response. I've been waiting since January.....

I've followed up again, I spent hours last week trying to talk to people or web chat to try and get the issue escalated. I've raised a Complaint and have been assured this will be looked into - I don't hold out any hope. 

The CUPID code’s an identifier used between us and Openreach when porting a number, but it's not something our advisors actually have visibility of.  We wouldn't normally need to give this to a customer.

We actually have several CUPID codes across our business so we'd need to check with Openreach which one relates to your number. I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.
This is a message from Vodafone to another customer. My request is the same. Please provide details as mentioned above.
Any

TugaAR91
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I was wondering how you got this resolved in the end? I called Vodafone today, I was transferred about 3 times and no one knew what a CUPID code is, I still don't have a CUPID code. I don't understand why this is so difficult to get.

AndyGadget

I want to port my landline number to a VOIP provider and tried to contact Vodafone for a CUPID via the gnpporting address but have received no reply in over a week.  I contacted first line support via Twitter and although they were unable to help I was given a link to the 'EasySwitch' portal, but I have tried several times and there are constantly 'no agents available'.   Would someone from the relevant department please message me to push this forward. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear you're thinking of moving to another provider @AndyGadget and a little disappointed that you've struggled with requesting a CUPID from ourselves, Easyswitch or your new provider. 

The CUPID code for a standard Vodafone landline is 007, the company you are switching to should be able to verify this without any issues. I'd be shaken (not Stirred 😂) if they were unable to. If it's not originally a Vodafone number and was previously with BT for example,  your new provider should be able to query the number and verify this for you too.

If you need anymore help with this or anything else, don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks for the swift reply Mark.

I'll be retaining broadband with Vodafone but it's always been my longer term aim to migrate my voice to VOIP to give me independence of the BB provider. (I'm FTTP so not receiving BB via the number concerned.)

My phone number WAS previously with BT over copper before I moved to Vodafone late last year at which point the copper landline was cancelled and the number transferred to VF.

Does this make a difference to the CUPID?

(Currently I'm diverting the number I wish to port to my VOIP providers suppplied number which works but at a cost. )

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for getting back to us @AndyGadget and letting us know - it shouldn't make any difference to moving the number over, as long as it's an active number.  

Thanks for the reply Amanda.

Is that definitely the case?  Mark implied this may not be the case if the line was not originally Vodafone. 

As I mentioned, I joined Vodafone (from BT) late last year and that number must have been ported to you as part of the process.  However, does the range holder transfer with the port or does that remain with the original holder as I've seen mentioned elsewhere?

When I ported from Vodafone, I had also previously been with BT (as a lot of customers probably are). 

It did take a few goes from my SIP provider but they eventually got the port done from Vodafone.  In my case my Cupid code was 007.  Looking at my old emails my SIP provider still had to have a couple of goes with Vodafone to get my port to go through.

Steve

Many thanks Steve.

You weren't porting to Sipgate by any chance?  Very good news if you were as that's where I'm going.

From their bumpf it looks like CUPID 007 can be ported to their Basic account (which I have) but not the business accounts.

Andy.