Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Super WiFi booster nothing connects

JamieSW
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

When I look at the Super WiFi bit of the vodafone app, nothing is ever connected to it.  Zero connected devices, no boost apparent as a result to distant devices.  Steady white light on the booster.

Using a wifi scanner I can see that the booster is broadcasting on a separate SSID (Vodafone Fnnn AnAA)  [n=number, A=alpha].  I can't connect a device to that SSID as the password isn't the same as my main WiFi password.

Tried resetting and re-connecting a few times, no joy.  What am I missing?

thanks

8 REPLIES 8

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi @JamieSW, thanks for getting in touch, we'd love to help get you up and running correctly. The best people to speak to would be our Wi-Fi Xperts. You can give them a bell by calling 191 if you have a Vodafone mobile, or click their name above to reach them via Live Chat ☝️

After an hour on the phone I finally got through to someone, who listened to my symptoms and concluded that the booster was probably broken, so arranged for another one to come, which it did after 2 days (good effort!)

After configuring it I get exactly the same as before...   Not so good.

In desperation I try pushing the WPS button on the booster (I'm not a fan of WPS, it leaves your network exposed for that brief period) and manage to get a device to connect.

My conclusions:

1. Vodafone's WiFi Experts are nice, but don't know their product

2. Some documentation or user guides would be helpful.  I can't be the only person who didn't know this is how to work it (especially given VF's own folk didn't!)

3. The boosters' operation is far from transparent, requiring the user to take action on every device they want to connect through it.  Not a great user experience if you have to touch every device to improve the service.

4. I wouldn't pay for one of these if it hadn't come free with the router

Jayach
16: Advanced member

It sounds like your router has not been configured correctly. Vodafone need to send a configuration to those on Pro so they can setup the extenders using the Vodafone app.

Have you tried the app and can you configure the extender with it?

Edit: Sorry I missed that you said you used the app in your first post.

Yes I'm using the app and yes I did update firmware on my router (when it first arrived, it wouldn't even recognise the booster).  But that's a whole other story about VF sending out equipment that's not up to date and ready to use..

Next round of fun and games is with our devices on the latest Android version that doesn't have WPS support (they've removed it as being insecure).

I'm inclined to call Vodafone out on their WiFi guarantee (if we can't get you connected in every room you can cancel the contract).  Anyone had any luck with this?

Life is too short to spend an hour on the phone trying to get through to one of their "xperts" who (see above) don't know how the product works either.

We are just discussing this ourselves but is anyone aware of a better provider, They all seem to be in it together making promises that do not deliver then hiding behind restricted customer support to reduce logged complaints

I agree with all your points. Vodafone  staff are pretty ignorant about their own products and support is pretty dreadful. The boosters are also complete crap, I’m on my third and it’s gone again. I’m cancelling my broadband contract as I can’t use it across half the house.

Jayach

@exuser 

The previous post on this thread was nearly 2 years ago. (although things haven't changed much in that time)

However the original "boosters" are no longer available, so are you using the new Ultra router with it's "boosters".