Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

THG3000G Specification and user manual

PW2410
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello All

does anyone know where you can get a full specification for the new Vodafone modem/router and a proper user manual, I like to be able to read something and so far have not had any luck findng anything.

The burning question that I have at the moment is what is the maximum number of concurrent wifi connections that the box can support? With my old PlusNet box I ran out of connections and had a add a second wifi router.

Thx in advance

Paul

29 REPLIES 29

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@PW2410 Hey there 👋 I'm not quite sure about the maximum amount of devices that you can have connected, this would depend on how many are being on used ate time and the amount of bandwidth they're using. You'll receive a user manual for the router, once you've had it ordered and delivered. You'll also be able to check out more information around the analytics of your broadband, once it's goes live. You can see how to do this here.

Hello Loz

Thank you for the reply, however I do not think you have fully understood me question. The maximum number of wired Lan connections the router supports is 4 because there are 4 connectors on the back of the router. Similarly there is a limit to the number of devices that can be connected to the router wirelessly at the same time, that is the number I am trying to find out. 

Thx Paul 

Not an answer to your main point (back then), but 4 Lan ports does not limit you to 4 Lan devices. You can connect a Hub or switch to a port to a single Lan port on the router & from that to multiple other devices, there is a limit of 255 devices connected because of the configuration of TCP/IP & the DHCP

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

@PW2410 wrote:

Hello Loz

Thank you for the reply, however I do not think you have fully understood me question. The maximum number of wired Lan connections the router supports is 4 because there are 4 connectors on the back of the router. Similarly there is a limit to the number of devices that can be connected to the router wirelessly at the same time, that is the number I am trying to find out. 

Thx Paul 

The wired connections are of course limited to four on the modem/router but if you add an inexpensive unmanaged eight port switch (for example) you'll have 10 connections available which I know for fact to work.   Not all my devices were on all the time of course.

In terms of wifi connections, again I have 15 - 16 devices permanently connected plus a handful of other 'occasional' devices.  Never had a problem with wifi in that respect but range is perhaps the weak point.

As for a user manual, may I suggest you don't hold your breath waiting for one.  A quick start guide printed on the box, a 'Vodafone Broadband Setup Guide' leaflet and a 'Product Safety Information' leaflet is about as good as it gets.

The setup guide really assumes no technical knowledge whatsoever and does little more than walk through connecting the router to the phone socket and what the lights mean.

Hello Loz

I forgot to mention there is no user guide supplied all that was included was a basic setup guide. 

Paul

I too would welcome a proper user manual and I find it strange that there's nothing in the box or on the web.  I was able to find that it's made by Technicolor, and that's about it.

I've just taken delivery of mine and am waiting for service activation in a few days. Although I'll go back to my own modem and router if I can, the THG3000g does look quite a capable bit of kit – certainly the nicest ISP router I've seen.

From the user interface it looks as if it can be set up for 3G/4G, and I was thinking this might be a handy fallback on chanegover day – but there's no mention of this in the quick setup guide. And what about those phone ports? Are they for SIP phones or POTS? Are they for FTTP only?

ditto... looking for user guide\manual and see if it can be set to modem mode.

I asked the question before I ordered mine, and was told that it can, however now that the router has arrived and  have connected to it to set it up how I want it there is very little in the GUI and accessing anything is frustrating. Most of the category buttons don't work and there is nothing about Modem Only mode. The DCHP can be switched off so maybe that is the answer.

Hello all, 

from what I have been able to find out the Vodafone router is quite a good bit of kit based on one of Broadcoms newer chips. Not having a proper manual does mean that there could be some features that we could be missing out on. Vodafone if you are reading this please give us a proper manual so we can use the router to its full potential and then be able to tell everyone else.

Paul