Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

THG3000G Specification and user manual

PW2410
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello All

does anyone know where you can get a full specification for the new Vodafone modem/router and a proper user manual, I like to be able to read something and so far have not had any luck findng anything.

The burning question that I have at the moment is what is the maximum number of concurrent wifi connections that the box can support? With my old PlusNet box I ran out of connections and had a add a second wifi router.

Thx in advance

Paul

29 REPLIES 29

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I appreciate what you're saying @PW2410 as this would be easier for you and me. But at the moment we don't have any guides other set-up and basic use available. 

@heymilton1946 wrote:

I asked the question before I ordered mine, and was told that it can, however now that the router has arrived and  have connected to it to set it up how I want it there is very little in the GUI and accessing anything is frustrating. Most of the category buttons don't work and there is nothing about Modem Only mode. The DCHP can be switched off so maybe that is the answer.

Switching DHCP off simply leaves you with a modem /router without DHCP.  There is no modem only mode, no router only mode and no access point mode with this device.

From an ISP viewpoint, the vast majority of customers will only ever want to use the device straight out of the box so why build in modes that very few want but add hugely to support requirements. 

Reading this previous thread. I also think this is one of the best ISP supplied routers and works well - wondering whether I can use this with another ISP and if so how I do that in the settings? Thanks!

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

@johnnybc wrote:

Reading this previous thread. I also think this is one of the best ISP supplied routers and works well - wondering whether I can use this with another ISP and if so how I do that in the settings? Thanks!

Assuming you are still talking about the THG3000 then almost certainly you'll not be able to use it with another ISP.

There is no user facility to change the Vodafone username and password to that of any other ISP.

From another thread...

@Anonymous wrote:

When the Vodafone router connects it first uses a special account handshake that enables it to pass it's serial number to Vodafone's servers, and in return it recieves the user name and password.  So although you can't set it, the router does hold the username and password.  I believe that for security purposes if the router does not connect to the Vodafone servers for an extended period, that it's serial number is removed from the database.

Yes the THG3000 - that's unfortunate as I have found it to be a great router and I know I've got a basic router with my new ISP so concerned I'm going to have issues. 

I was hoping it was possible since I see in the expert settings host name Vodafone and then ability to change subnet addresses etc. 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

You won't be able to use it to replace your new ISP's router, but you may be able to use it as an AP. (Access Point)

Who are your new ISP? Most ISP supplied routers are equally good. (or bad depending on your expectations)

My new broadband is Shell Energy and I know the router they have sent me is pretty basic - only has 2.4Ghz capability and no 802.11n for instance

Jayach

If it's the Technicolor TG588V V2 it does have 802.11n but no 5Ghz as you say. You will probably want to get your own router.

If you google "use THG3000 as AP" there are lots of details on how to do it. Not tried it myself.

Just checked and yes it is! Clearly you know your stuff thanks. Maybe I can complain to Shell and try and get them to provide me with their "upgraded" router as Vodafone did. Any suggestions on a cost effective but good router if I were getting my own? 

Jayach

I'm happily using my THG3000. I also don't think it's a bad router, just wish it was a bit more configurable.

So no  I don't have any particular recommendations for one to get, but perhaps somebody else may recommend one.