Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

GigaFast Pro 900 Speed and Connection Dropouts

Bozza
4: Newbie
  • FTTP WiFi and Ethernet speed issues 
  • FTTP connectivity dropout issues, mainly noticed on WiFi

My typical WiFi speeds are concerning as they are typically no faster than 150 to 200 Mbps which is not consistent either.

On most occasions I see no greater than 100 down and maybe 60 to 100 up.

My other issue is consistent dropouts that last up to a few minutes and this can occur during a WhatsApp video call, streaming video or music and or if I'm working and during a Teams call.

Edit - DSL question removed.

Can someone please help?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member

You don't have DSL, you have FTTP and so you won't have any line stats/info/tests available to you.

Thanks for confirming that piece of info regarding DSL stats.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @Bozza - I understand how important it is to have a stable connection, especially now. Have you connected to your test socket to see your speeds/connection improves?

Please drop us a message on social media as well so we can run some tests on your line. Make sure to include your landline/account number, forum username and link back to this forum thread to save you repeating yourself.

What Test socket are you referring to please?

If you are referring to the ONT box how can I test WiFi where I would only be able to test Ethernet? 

Also Social Media advised that they cannot help with Gigafast issues as per screenshot below;

20220418_140132.png

Jayach

@Bozza wrote:

What Test socket are you referring to please?

As you are on FTTP, you don't have a test socket, that is only for FTTC/VDSL.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Apologies @Bozza as @Jayach has advised FTTP doesn't have a test socket. And since you are on Gigafast I'd advise getting in touch with our Gigafast team on 08080 034 515 as they will be able to run the tests on your line.

Ok so there were 2 issues present.

1. When CityFibre came round to Audit the work a week or so after it was fitted, they found that the cabinet to house fibre cable line test showed that it was (negative) -32.05 and the engineer Nik mentioned that it should not be above -18, this was the main reason why I was having connection dropouts and speed issues.

CF remedied this on the day by blowing in a new line from the cabinet to the box outside of my house, no drama there and I did not have to be present either.

2. The 2nd issue may have been due to having a different serial number on my profile than what was on my router physically in front of me, this stopped the WiFi Xpert performing any diagnosis i.e. connecting to the router and or performing a reset.

Once the correct s/n was provided this allowed the Xpert to perform a reset their end as well as me doing it my end.

Once all the above was complete I connected a capable laptop to the router via an Ethernet cable and achieved plus 900 down and up.

Hopefully the notes here in the future help someone out.