Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Router won't connect to devices

HAMMERSTINGER
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

We have been with Vodafone broadband now for a few months. The first router we had worked fine with regards to WiFi connection to devices, but we kept losing the internet, so a second router was sent. Wish now that hadn't happened, as the problems were at the green box.

The second router seemed ok at the beginning, but a few weeks back, it started dropping certain devices, which were saying they couldn't connect to the router. These were our Roku box, NowTV box, Firestick (which was only bought last week), and one of our Chromecasts, all in the living room. None of which are used at the same time btw. Occasionally there are issues connecting to our sounbar too. The router is only a few metres away in the hall.

Have made endless calls to Vodafone (assistants in Egypt), and have reset, rebooted, reconfigured etc etc the router again and again. The latest reconfiguring of the DNS seemed to get the router to reconnect to the devices, but there were intermittent connection drops, so my wife had to restart a programme around 40 times the other night, which is ridiculous.

The Vodafone assistant today said I should put the router higher off the ground. Well that worked for about 40 minutes. Now we are back to no connections.

It can't even recognise the Now box or the Chromecast fitted to the TV in the kitchen at all, and they are just down the hallway. The WiFi signals coming from the router seem too weak.

However, they seem to connect easily to laptop, phones, TV and tablet.

The situation is now ridiculous, and I seriously wish we hadn't taken out a contract with Vodafone broadband. It is ridiculous as, on top of our Vodafone bill, we are wasting money on streaming channels that we can't watch.

I believe that we need another new router, but I just keep given new and ineffective solutions from the advisors. HELP!!!!

32 REPLIES 32

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

Would you consider your own private router as a replacement?

You need the username and password for your LINE/account to enable your own.

VodaFone seem quite happy to give out such things.

Thanks for that. It may have to be the route (no pun intended) to go. This router has just given up the ghost.

What I don't understand is that the router will connect to a Chromecast plugged into the TV, but it won't, consistently, connect to a Roku, NowTV or Firestick plugged into the same TV. And we won't mention the other Chromecast or the NowTV linked to the TV in the kitchen.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@HAMMERSTINGER We'll be happy to take a closer look into this for you to help connect your devices to the router! So we can run through further checks and testing, please can you pop us a message through Facebook or Twitter? Once we have your details there we'll do some digging to resolve this. 

If you include your Community username and a link to your thread you won't need to write your query out again t👍

Tash, I will do that on Twitter, and FB just to make certain. is that @VodafoneUK on Twitter?

That's the one @HAMMERSTINGER 👍 You can also follow this link for Twitter @VodafoneUK.

MarkD. I left message on both yesterday, but haven't had a response yet.

I understand that the Covid19 situation is affecting service, but, if nothing has been resolved by Friday, I'll ring the complaints number, and start to make investigations as to where I stand with Vodafone not providing their side of the contract in full. After having a 4 hour online chat with one of your assitants on Monday, may patience is shot tbh. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

We're a little busier than usual @HAMMERSTINGER, but I'm sure a member of the team will be in touch with you shortly 👌

I’m having very similar issues with a router I was sent Monday. Literally won’t connect to Chromecast or my SureFlap cat flap that is connected to the router by an Ethernet cable. I cannot connect my work laptop either. 1 hour chatting to their help txt thing and no fix for it. After seeing this page I’ve tried to talk on FB messenger but I’ve not had a reply yet. Sounds like I might be best getting rid of the contract if this is normal for Vodaphone. I never had any issues with my previous provider. It’s so stressful, who would of thought it