Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to use Windows updates, PS4 and some streaming services

A65Firebird
3: Seeker
I have a Vodafone WiFi hub running Current firmware version19.4.0551-3261103 My problem was solved, hence the reason for posting it to help others as it was very annoying not knowing why it's happening. It always fix itself after the router was rebooted for a while. Problem Any version of Windows operating system from Windows 7 to 11 wouldn't connect to the update server, Sony PlayStation 4 failed on Network test with wireless or wired connection and the All 4 streaming service wouldn't load up. What was odd, was that mobile phone updates and other Internet services were fine via the broadband connection. Computer browsing and emails were fine. I changed the default DNS to Google settings, but no luck there. I did the usual stuff, such as saving and reloading an old configuration I saved, then tried to update the firmware that didn't work. Some older backups failed to work as the firmware was updated since the backup was done and it was therefore not compatible. Solution Finally, I factory reset the router and reprogrammed it to what it was. I was at the point of using another make of router when by chance I found that when looking in the Configuration section that.. UPnP Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) permits networked devices, such as personal computers, printers, Internet gateways, Wi-Fi access points and mobile devices to seamlessly discover each other's presence on the network and establish functional network services for data sharing, communications, and entertainment. UPnP      (This setting was ticked!) I unpicked it and rebooted the router. This has fixed my problem, but I still can't figure out why it should cause all these issues? Has this ever happened to anyone else?.
8 REPLIES 8

Cynric
16: Advanced member

Well anything that turns off UPnP gets my vote as it's a well known security risk.

Glad to read that you got it all sorted out.

Jayach

There is no way UPnP should cause those problems, but it's possible something on your LAN was using it and the settings being created were interfering with normal functions.

Turning it off may cause some problem with some things such as torrent clients.

You should see the rules created under Dynamic Port Mapping in the router. Those shown are for my torrent client.

Jayach_0-1679417848850.png

Nomine

Hi, Thanks for posting this - I had the same issue which I think started at in late March although i didn't notice until my antivirus flagged no windows updates had come through for over a month. Turning the router on and off resolved the issue ... after several hours of googling, turning things on and off, troubleshooters, and conversations with windows support trying to identify the problem!

No worries. I have since discovered that I did have another router present on my home netwirk that shouldn't have interferred with my Vodafone router as it was assigned a different address. I still get this annoying problem but it's not as bad as it was.

Another router on your network?  So Double NAT then - and I'd guess that both routers were using the same subnet?

*Actually in this day and age I find it hard to believe that the networking providers haven't come up with a solution to Double NAT!

Cynric

@CrimsonLiar  I wonder, correct me if I am wrong, whether IPv6 does away with NAT-NAT.

CrimsonLiar

I don't know!  Initially, you'd think so, but the DHCPv6 still keeps a list of known clients and their MAC addresses, so there is potential for it to go wrong!  For now I'll stick with I don't know!

Just to add that even after sorting out my network, I'm still having the problem. It doesn't appear to be as bad. Sometimes it fails on Windows 10 but works on 11 or both 10 and 11 fail. I'm now suspecting it's either the router or in the local internet as it uses BT for the service.

As it only takes a few minutes to reset the router, I'll just stick with it for the time being.