Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using Tp-Link Deco and landline.

ScoobyD
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have Vodafone FTTP. I removed the Vodafone router and set up the Deco as my router instead.

Now wondering if there is any way to use my landline phone as well.

I know I can put Deco into Access Mode and use the Vodafone router but I don't want to do this (I like the Parental Controls etc when using Deco as router).

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member

Simply put, nope!

Thanks for answering.

Is there no way to do this, even if I used a different router  in bridge mode (in between the wall and the Deco)? Or would this nor work as it is not Vodafone?

WelshPaul

If you want to use the Vodafone landline then you have to connect the Vodafone Hub to the ONT. Nothing else will work, nothing!!!

Ok. Thanks.

And I assume I can't connect Vodafone router and the Deco in router mode? 

Jayach

@ScoobyD wrote:

Ok. Thanks.

And I assume I can't connect Vodafone router and the Deco in router mode? 

Not without double NATing.

CrimsonLiar

So....   Double NAT isn't always an issue (but it doesn't work well here).  If you are not gaming or running media servers, but just streaming and browsing, you probably wouldn't have issues with double NAT.  

Could you use a long ethernet cable between the first Deco unit and the VF router.  Then have the kids connect to the double NATted Deco system and yourselves to the VF router if need be.  If you have issues with devices connected to the Deco system, then try connecting them to the VF router.

If you already have the equipment, you have little to lose!

Jayach

@CrimsonLiar wrote:

Then have the kids connect to the double NATted Deco system and yourselves to the VF router if need be.  If you have issues with devices connected to the Deco system, then try connecting them to the VF router.

But the kids are more likely to be gaming and using Xboxes/Play stations where the double NAT causes problems.

I personally have never had a problem with double NAT.

sorry, I have no idea what that means!

CrimsonLiar

NAT = Network Address Translation

Double NAT happens when you put one router behind another.  It's a problem because sometimes that double translation goes wrong.  Websites and streaming from sites usually work, but local streaming servers, multiplayer games and devices that rely on online servers often get confused.

If you have the equipment, you may as well give it a try!