Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Broadband options

collinsc
4: Newbie

Hi

I am trying to investigate Vodafone broadband options as I am having frequent connection issues with my current provider Sky.  Two days in a row i've tried to use the 'Chat' feature to speak to someone but it just says "Loading, please wait..." and i've tried different browsers and get the same. So, i'm posting here for advice.

I'm currently on Sky Essential Broadband. I've just done a speed check and download was 10.7, upload 0.9.  In the week download was between 5 and 6.

I'm now working from home so devices i have are: work laptop (and sometimes VM) connected, and SkyGo, and 2 laptops, 2 mobiles and Alexa.  

On many ocassions we have had to disconnect all other devices so i can use my work laptop more efficiently.

I've seen 'GigaCube' advertised and I wondered if this might be suitable for me?

To complicate things, i live in a block of flats (we are two blocks of 6 flats) and i when i moved in (a decade ago) Virgin had said they wouldn't supply fibre because it was too expensive.

So i don't think fibre is an option, and, i'm on the fastest option with Sky that i can get (I get the message when i try to upgrade: "Sky Broadband Ultrafast is being rolled out across the UK. Register now to find out when it's available in your area.")

Any advice appreciated (including how to get 'Chat' working!)

12 REPLIES 12

Jayach
16: Advanced member

I honestly don't think Vodafone will supply a better broadband service than Sky.

To get chat working try it in a private/incognito tab. use this link to bypass Tobi.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

Jayach

Also, as your speeds seem very low, it may be due to your setup or poor wiring in your apartment block.

Do you know what your close neighbours get? 

What does the BT checker say you could expect? BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

Thanks for all the inputs.

Re the link to 'https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL' i dont know ANY of the info on there im afraid e.g. dont even know my own landline number as never use it!

I dod though use a sliightly different version 'https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressFeatureProduct' and i assume gives same info?

Results are below. Any insights appreciated.

Good point re neighbours connection speeds; i will ask around.

ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability DateWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 17--10 to 19.5Available
Up to 17Up to 1.510 to 19.5Available
Up to 7.5--6.5 to 8Available
2----Available
2----Available
Other Offerings Availability DateADSL Multicast
Available
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y

The premise/line is associated with exchange which is NOT part of current fibre priority programme.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where WLR is not withdrawn.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where SOADSL service is restricted.

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member

@collinsc wrote:

I dont know ANY of the info on there im afraid e.g. dont even know my own landline number as never use it!

To find your land line number, just call your mobile phone from the land line... hang up as soon as your mobile rings to avoid call charges.

Jayach

The telephone no. checker is usually more accurate than the address checker.

The figures you posted are for ADSL. Are you currently on ADSL or VDSL(FTTC)?

I've disconnected my landline phone years ago!

"Are you currently on ADSL or VDSL(FTTC)?" - sorry no idea! how can i find out?

HappyNomad

@collinsc wrote:

I've disconnected my landline phone years ago!

"Are you currently on ADSL or VDSL(FTTC)?" - sorry no idea! how can i find out?

Sky Essential Broadband is ADSL which has a claimed average download speeds of 11Mbps.

If Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) is available in your area then that is where you need to be...  Vodafone offers FTTC  Superfast 1 (35Mbps/£22pm*) and Superfast 2 (63Mbps/£24pm*) plus a couple of faster Fibre To The Premises options.  Most service providers have similar speeds but your best bet will be to go to one of the switching sites (google broadband offers) and see what is on offer.

Most mainstream ADSL/VDSL providers will require you to have a phone line and number (no requirement to actually have a connected telephone though) but on the other hand, the few companies that offer broadband only charge more than the mainstream providers.

*Prices shown are for standard Superfast 1 & 2.  Superfast 1 & 2 Pro is significantly more expensive.  Prices & offers vary / change fairly frequently. 

I believe a number of us are not entirely convinced by Vodafone's Broadband Pro packages which is essentially the same as standard  but with added features that appear to add very little of real value.

"Vodafone offers FTTC  Superfast 1 (35Mbps/£22pm*) and Superfast 2 (63Mbps/£24pm)" - that sounds like it could be an improvement!

I will look into it

Thanks!

I've just spoken to an advisor and unfortunately they dont supply my area.

I live in a village in a town, so im a bit surprised.

For future reference the link they gave me to check this is:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband?cid=postcode

They are suggesting GigaCube as an option

update: but only get a good signal outdoors!

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/status-checker