Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Pro broadband can't split 2.4/5ghz

Ses6jwg
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello I recently 'upgraded' to pro broadband.

I need to split the 2.4 and 5ghz temporarily to connect a smart socket.

In the router settings it says because I have super WiFi I do this in the app.

There is no option in the app to do this that I can see.

Can anyone help me please

Screenshot_20211129-182848.png

14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, so why is it that you believe you need to split the SSIDs in order to connect your smart socket?  And what is the smart socket in question?

It's a bg smart socket.

The instructions say to connect your device to 2.4ghz before connecting to the plug as it uses 2.4 only

I previously split the connection and connected. Now it's disconnected and I can no longer split the ssid into 2.4 and 5 GHz there is no way to force a newer android device to connect to 2.4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, so the solution is to set up your phone or a computer as a "(Portable) Hotspot", on the 2.4GHz band using the same SSID and Password as the router and possibly a second phone.  

Once you've set up the Hotspot, you'll probably need to turn the WiFi on the router off, while you start the setup on the plug, but once set up you can turn off the Hotspot and turn the router WiFi back on.

This should work - keep us updated!

Could you give a bit more detail on how I do this with my phone please? 

im not sure how to change the SSID etc of my phone hotspot?

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Duzza you'll need to speak to our Wi-Fi Xperts to split your channels - you can do this by calling 08080 034 515 or by chatting online: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

Setting my laptop as a 2.4ghz wifi hotspot worked for me.

It works all the time the hotspot is set up and active.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Once the device (smart socket/lights/cameras etc) is setup you can turn the hotspot off and revert to using the Vodafone router.

Set up all the smartlife lights but once the hotspot was turned off and the phone used to set up the lghts was back on 5ghz the smartlife app shows all devices offline.