Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Wifi Router Replacement

DaveEyes
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have just moved to Vodafone from TalkTalk - the speed of connection seems fine but I am a little dismayed at the functionality of the router management interface.   Its extremely slow to respond and lacks many features that the talk talk router had - such as being able to easily see what devices are on the network and to easilly set up static ip addresses.

I would be interested to know if there is a recommended 3rd party router that I could buy ...?

Thanks

Dave

35 REPLIES 35

Hi !  yes thats no problem - I replaced the vodafone router with a 

TP-Link AC2800

Been very happy with it since November.  I have a house full of alexa stuff and it handles all the devices well.

Dave

Dave did you have to use pppoe with username and password. Did you have to out in a vlan 911 aswell 

Thanks. 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Smartie91 Dave  is probably on FTTC as that is a VDSL router so he would not need to use VLAN settings, the modem will handle that. As you appear to be on FTTP you don't really want a router with a modem in it.

his is my other router 

GL.iNet GL-AX1800(Flint) WiFi 6 Router - Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router | 5 x 1G Ethernet Ports | Up to 120 Devices | Great OpenVpn&Wireguard Speed | WPA3 Security | MU-MIMO | 802.11ax

thia did work to a fasion but had to ssh into network config and add .911 the eth0.911 but it woundnt conect all the time  shame as it has wireguard .adguard all bulit in 

nigel

Jayach

That sounds like a great router, definitely try to get it working without the Vodafone one.

@Smartie91 wrote:

thia did work to a fasion but had to ssh into network config and add .911 the eth0.911 but it woundnt conect all the time  shame as it has wireguard .adguard all bulit in 

I'm not experienced in SSHing into routers, but did you possibly not save the config, which is why it no longer worked after a reboot?

Hi yes I did save. It rebooted ok and worked. But then had to reboot again it woundnt connect again.  

Yes it's FTTC here.

Vodafone provided me with the username and password and it just worked..  Happy days 😊👍

Been having massive issues with Sky Q since moving to vodafone FTTP. 

Would like to swap out the vodafone router that connects to the openreach box.

Can this be done, what info do I need, and any recommendations?

Ripshod

Depends on your price range. A decent Netgear R7800 or Asus RT-AC68U can be got from ebay for £40-60. From there the sky's the limit. I'd personally only go wifi6 if I had two or more devices that support it and transfer files regularly between them.

You'll need to get your PPPoE login dets from http://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd to set your new router up.

Jayach

You can use any router you like. 

You will need your PPPoE credentials, get them from Vodafone via live chat:  https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

However Sky Q really likes to have the Sky modem.