Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone broadband supply

Olav19
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Currently have fibre broadband provided by BT (FFTP) and want to change to Vodafone broadband. When I do uswitch it gives me the option of Vodafone but when I have been redirected to Vodafone site and fill in postcode I am told Vodafone can’t supply fibre broadband to my premises. Why? I am able to switch to Sky fibre.

17 REPLIES 17

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

I can see we've replied on Twitter @Olav19 🙂

Hi Amanda

The advice on Twitter by your advisors really doesn’t make sense and is not helpful. As stated in the tweet Vodafone doesn’t seem to be interested in a new customer. Very disappointing.

Hi Amanda

Another thought has crossed my mind. Vodafone supplies through work a business broadband connection to my house, through copper and this might well be why your system tells you I can’t be supplied with fibre broadband? I have my fibre broadband through a different line from BT. Could you please look into this?

you are able to see my address on the tweet.

olav

Hi Olav19,

Did you manage to solve your issue? Even though on FTTC, some of us are experiencing similar issues with our addresses all of a sudden not being eligible for Vodafone service, whereas everyone else in the same street or even building is eligible. Was anyone able to help you or did you just end up going with another provider in the end?

Thanks!

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

FTTC is usually managed through the LLU (local loop unbundling) agreement that was forced on OpenReach, though there are still some exceptions.  Such as if you are the first user for a specific provider there can be an additional fee for the installation of equipment in the exchange which some providers the cost of which some providers have been known to pass on (in part) to that first customer.

There is no such LLU agreement in place (yet) for FTTP provision, and the earlier comments regard the number of ports in the cabinet relate only to FTTC not FTTP, though FTTP can have its own limits.  In some locations, VF FTTP is provided by Openreach, in others by CityFibre or another provider with which VF have an agreement.  In my own location as recently as November 2021 no FTTP was available, we now have OpenReach, CityFibre, and Virgin all available - at least they co-ordinated!  The downside to this is, that should we change service, we are no longer able to switch to FTTC, with all changes being forced to FTTP!

Additionally, if VF say they cannot provide, then their admin is such that any attempt to force things through will probably only end up in a mess!

Indeed. Not sure why FTTP is not showing up as available, or limited to only certain products up to either 100 to 200Mbps, when Openreach shows an address as FTTP ready up to 1000Mbps.

Jayach

This tries to explain it, but it sounds like BS to me.

Vodafone Explains Why Some FTTP Areas Only Offered 200Mbps - ISPreview UK

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

The information in the article linked to by @Jayach is correct @JamesBand. We've experienced a delay in upgrading our capacity in some areas, but rather than not providing a service in these areas, we're running one offering 200Mbps at the moment. As soon as the upgrade's been completed, the full speed should be available.