cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

What Router do Vodafone use, Does it have Modem modem?

question99
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I am considering the the 900 Full Fibre package but just wondering about the "Intelligent Wifi Hub", does it have Modem mode, are there any ethernet ports on it or is the New Ultra Hub with WiFi 6E really worth going for?

5 REPLIES 5

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

The router you will receive depends on the plan you go for, with standard plans getting the THG3000 (VOX3) and ProII getting their ProII Ultra Hub.  Neither of these devices have a modem mode, but if you are on a 900Mbps plan the only reason you'd need to use them if you have your own router, would be if you need the Vodafone-provided phone service!

WiFi 6E is really a different question, it could be worth it for some people, but not for others.  For it to make sense you have to be in a situation where the 5GHz WiFi band is already swamped, and you have to have devices that will use it.  If neither of those situations is true then you'll not benefit!

Cynric

I think that it's also worth remembering that the higher frequencies travel shorter distances and are more prone to problems with thick walls. I read an article today about 7G WiFi and one of the big negatives in the review was its range.

Yes 7G, this is the "next big thing".

CrimsonLiar

WiFi7 or 7G - the two are different.  Improvements in WiFi7 on 2.4GHz and 5GHz should lead to greater speeds and distance.  That said 5GHz WiFi6 on the GT-AX6000 is pretty impressive, but the router is a bit of a bully (even with the power setting reduced a little).

Cynric

@CrimsonLiar  My lazy typing. All my comments were supposed to be about WiFi 7. Apologies all round.

WiFi 6 & 6E have an indoor range of 30m and WiFi 5 is 35m.

Jayach

Referring to the OP's original question, as the thread seems to have gone a bit off-topic.

No the router(s) supplied don't have a modem mode (but there is no reason to want one on FTTP)

The THG3000, which you will get with the standard service has 4 Ethernet ports.

The Ultra hub that you will get with Pro II has 2 Ethernet port.s.

Whether paying the extra for the Pro II service is worth it, I would say no, but it really depends on just what you expect.

As you ask about "modem mode", I assume you are looking to use your own router, in which case there would be no difference between the two options.