Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

What happens to existing line ?

Legfan2
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, took the plunge last night and ordered pro 900 package from Vodafone (cityfibre) its being installed next month, my question is what happens to existing line with BT on openreach as its not like Vodafone are taking over this line although i am keeping existing phone number.Do i have to phone BT and cancel ? Contract is up in Jan anyway. What would happen if i wanted to go back to old line ? (Unlikely)

3 REPLIES 3

crimsom
4: Newbie

Hi @Legfan2 not sure what Vodafone (cityfibre) services are provided.

Openreach has installed FTTP to our house. They replaced our FTTC copper wire with double cable that includes a FTTC copper wire cable and a FTTP fibre optic cable. Openreach installed their new small ONT modem (no battery back-up) to our house. The Openreach installation was excellent, the engineers were very professional and willing to customise the installation so that it was installed where we wanted it on our property. 

Solved: Openreach FTTP Full-Fibre broadband installation b... - Community home (vodafone.co.uk)

voda89
4: Newbie

Interesting you're keeping your number, it made me get a new number and I was told on Live Chat and on the phone that numbers can't be ported from OR to CF. I'm presuming I need to cancel mine myself, but if your number if being ported I'd have thought that would trigger it.

Hi @voda89 thanks for sharing your Vodafone installation experience.  

We are in the Vodafone (Openreach), catchment area, so can only say what happens during our ISP full fibre (no digital phone) installation. ISPs want to tag their full fibre plan with a telephone number, so that their administration of their full fibre line can be managed. The Vodafone order askes if customer wants to keep their copper wire telephone number. Vodafone ISP then creates a new telephone number (free of charge) for their full fibre plan.

I prefer the Vodafone ISP arrangement because I can still use my copper telephone line powered from the local exchange (in addition to the ISP 1.0 Gbps full fibre plan). I have had my copper wire telephone for many years and did not want to update all of my online accounts with a different telephone number, just because ISP provides very fast full fibre download and upload speeds, for a lower cost than the slow ISP copper wire plan.