cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

how can I set my primary vodafone router to allow connection to a secondary VPN router

asturchisum
3: Seeker

I would like to access a private VPN service from a secondary router. I got the secondary router configured but it is not capable to establish the private connection. I believe I might require to configure primary vodafone router to allow it (i.e.  passthrough). I have not been able to findout setups in the vodafone router or tutorials about how to do it. HELP

24 REPLIES 24

asturchisum

Just in case it helps the way I am trying to set the VPN router is establishing a VPN client using OpenVPN in combination ctp/udp files 

Anonymous
Not applicable

The setup that you are looking for does not exist.  You might be able to find a working example by searching for "double NAT and vpn".

There are ways it may be possible, but not optimally!

I hear what you are saying but I believe that bring us to the same point, how/where do I find vodafone primary router setups to allow a pass through / router bridge

Cynric
16: Advanced member

.@asturchisum  This is very basic, but perhaps it may help.

On Vodafone THG3000

Internet -> Firewall
Allow Ping to WAN interface : OFF
Firewall : ON

Internet -> DNS & DDNS

DNS Configuration "Manually"
Domain Name Server (DNS) Address : 192.168.0.x (or whatever you local DNS may be)
Secondary DNS Address (optional) : 1.0.0.1 (I use an external here as safety net if the other hardware fails)
DDNS : OFF

Wi-Fi -> General

Wi-Fi Network : OFF
Enable Wi-Fi On/Off button on Vodafone Wi-Fi Hub : OFF

Settings -> Public Subnet

Enable : OFF

Settings -> Local Network
IPv4 Address ofVodafone Wi-Fi Hub : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv4 Server : OFF
IPv6 : OFF

IPv4 Address ofVodafone Wi-Fi Hub : 192.168.5.1
DHCPv4 Server : OFF
IPv6 : OFF

On secondary router/switch

Tell it not to require a login to the ISP (THG3000 does this for you)

Internet: Use STATIC address
IP Address : 192.168.1.2 (this is the address of this device)
IP Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway IP Address : 192.168.1.1 (the address of the THG3000 box)

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address : Manually set
Primary DNS : 192.168.0.2 (this can be the IP of the secondary box, I have a separate DNS provider on my LAN)
Secondary DNS : 1.0.0.1
Third DNS : 1.1.1.1

Wi-Fi : Setup as best suits your requirements

Hi Cynric,

I have tried your setup in my vodafone huawei router hhg 2500 and it has just dissabled internet in the vodafone router in the middle of the process. Now, I have lost Wifi in the vodafone primary network what it was never the intention. I had created a backup router config file but I do not seem to have access to the vodafone router neither with ethernet lan cable and 192.168.1.1... HELP first to restore vodafone router config

Hi, I have been able to solve vodafone internet by pressing router reset. Now back to main topic. I want to keep 2 roters to provide be able to connect to primary vodafone router as normal and then create a secondary VPN router.

Cynric your previously suggested setups seems to dissable the vodafone router wifi... 

Cynric

Disable Wi-Fi, yes that is what I do on my LAN because the 2nd device provides the Wi-Fi rather than the THG3000. I am glad to hear that you were not totally stuck.

That is not exactly what I was looking for.

1- I would like to have the two routers, vodafone router to connect to work servers and asus VPN router for private activities. Would that be possible?

2-chatting with Nord people they are asking me to config Settings / IPv4 /DHCP server enabled /Address Pool Start IP and End IP... but these fields are greyout. Any thoughts about how to edit these IPs?

Jayach

It sounds like you have the second router configured as an AP (access point). It would need to be working as a router IF you are to get it working.

What router are you using?