cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

how can I set my primary vodafone router to allow connection to a secondary VPN router

asturchisum
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I would like to access a private VPN service from a secondary router. I got the secondary router configured but it is not capable to establish the private connection. I believe I might require to configure primary vodafone router to allow it (i.e.  passthrough). I have not been able to findout setups in the vodafone router or tutorials about how to do it. HELP

24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking at the document:

Some of the WAN settings are wrong!

WAN > Internet Connection > Basic settings > WAN connection type   Should be Automatic IP

That will then remove the WAN Connection IP setting section on the secondary router.  You will need to give the secondary router a static IP using the primary router, and then direct packets using port forwarding to that local IP address or set that address as being in the DMZ.

On the VF router you should turn off the Static IP settings - this is meant for a totally different purpose.

The fewer devices you have connected to the secondary router the greater the chance that it will work!

I have asked Asus directly and did not receive a positive clear message. It seems that they do not support updated OpenVPN 2.4.x firmware version for the AC RT51U router. That is my reason to move to a better asus router AC66UB1 as indicated by nord team

Hi, I would like to close this post saying that I have succeeded.

My new asus router has arrived and I have been able to complete the setup.

Thanks Keith for your advice. I have applied the mentioned corrections in your previous post

In the VF router Settings, IPv4, DHCP server lease time changed to forever, and set Static DHCP ip for VPNrouter

I am also using the Internet Static NAT/DMZ (as the setup is working) but I might have to revise this part

In the VPN Asus router

I have changed WAN to connect to DNS servers provided by Nord

I just wanted to end this post by saying thanks to all the people that replayed to my comments.

Does this work ?  I've tried to implement, but part way through the browser access to the vodafone hub settings 198.162.1.1  gets redirected to the secondary router equivalent, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Will the proposed solution allow the secondary router to retain its function of port forwarding a device to be seen publically from the wan IP address. This is my motivation for doing this.  I previously was with virgin and used it as a dumb access point, and have my secondary router correctly configured. Just want to keep this setup if possible

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

It's a bodge, and always has been, but should work to a degree.  You will probably not have access to the nested 2nd (VPN) router WEBUI if you are connected to the VF router, though you *may* be able to access the primary router WEBUI from devices connected to the secondary one, and it's important that the subnets are different!

It's really not ideal, and can still break!  Regards devices connecting to the two routers talking to each other "reliably" TP-Link and Netgear routers have a better chance at this than Asus routers.

If you are not really looking to use VPN on the nested router, then it's really just a case of "suck it and see" as different networks will perform differently.

Oh, and 192.168.x.x is more common than 198.162.x.x