Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

setting up old vf router as new wifi connecting to new router with ethernet

duncsndebs
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

I've just received a new vf wifi hub router which I've set up.  The wifi signal with this, like the previous router (vf connect) isn't great downstairs.  I'm trying to set up the old router as wifi downstairs by connecting the two routers with an ethernet cable, changing some settings in the old router keeping the same SSID and password (although they are different for now so I can see what is going on).  I've followed some youtube vids, some online stuff, and I think the bit I can't find is how to turn the old router into 'router only' mode or 'disable NAT'.  I'm not particularly techcnical, I don't understand a lot of the terminology but I can follow instructions!  Has anyone dones this already, give me some pointers (I've set the encryption to the same WPa2 on both, I've got the mode the same on both and I've turned off DHCP on the old router.  The old router is set up with 92.168.1.2 and new with default 1.1.  Any help would be gladly appreciated - I've spent hours on this (every time I get a new router as it happens)!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member

@duncsndebs wrote:

Hi

... the bit I can't find is how to turn the old router into 'router only' mode or 'disable NAT'. 

Quite simply, neither of your Vodafone routers can be switched to 'router only’ mode and neither can you disable NAT.  

Have a search through the forum... using two modems as you are proposing comes up fairly frequently, can be done in a very rudimentary fashion but is generally not satisfactory.  A simple wifi extender would probably serve your needs better than a codge up with your two less than satisfactory ISP modem/routers.

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

HappyNomad

@duncsndebs wrote:

Hi

... the bit I can't find is how to turn the old router into 'router only' mode or 'disable NAT'. 

Quite simply, neither of your Vodafone routers can be switched to 'router only’ mode and neither can you disable NAT.  

Have a search through the forum... using two modems as you are proposing comes up fairly frequently, can be done in a very rudimentary fashion but is generally not satisfactory.  A simple wifi extender would probably serve your needs better than a codge up with your two less than satisfactory ISP modem/routers.

hmmm - I thought that might be the case given the hours I've spent.  Thanks for your help.

gipjon
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I'm a little lost here because

my own home networks consist of 3 routers connected together by lan , 4th maybe coming (running out of ethernet sockets) 

my main Vodafone router is connected to an edge router(no wifi) using an ethernet cable and then the edge router is connected to a technicolor router using an ethernet cable.  All the LAN sockets are in use. I also run the wifi on the main router and the technicolor router with no issues.  , 3 Xbox running 2 sky box's, CCTV recorder box no idea how many android box's, tablets,  laptops, google home hub, Alexa, wifi light bulbs, etc think there are about 30 devices in total and, don't have any issues at all. well apart from the stupid Vodafone main hub wifi which keeps selecting the same wifi channel as the other. 

The only thing I did was turn off the DHCP on the two-second router and change the start address on the router's main router 192.168.1.1 second 192.168.1.50 third 192.168.1.100