Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Anonymous
Not applicable
33 REPLIES 33

If you give me a private message I can help you set it up. I’ve got my one running now and speeds are nearly double the Vodafone router. Getting 940+ download. 

To anybody interested.....

Please read my post (under my username about 3rd Party routers) if you want the details of my nightmare situation.

What I will say is I am now 12months+ into my contract and have used a 3rd Party router (Asus DSL-AC68U) since Day one. It has gone down twice. First time a, knowledgeable, UK tech support fixed it; this time....well I still have no internet via it 24+ hours in and having spent 11 calls and solid 4.5 hours on the phone. Just a joke.

After joining, but before going live, I did a lot of reading and saw lots of posts where Voda had told users that  they couldn't use 3rd party routers. This scared the hell out of me. I decided that if they didn't give me user/pw when I went live that I would cancel there and then. Restricting you, without cause, to a Huawei router that they have access to is wrong. As it was they gave me access and all was fine....until it wasn't. All of a sudden a month or two in it went down. Luckily a UK techie (proper techie too) realised what the issue was and fixed the syncing after about 45 minutes. He said it was 'just one of those things' and 'no big deal to fix if you know what you are doing.'

10 months on, yesterday, it happened again. This time....no 'techie'. Doing my own diagnosis it is clear to me (as I have access via the Voda router but not one out of THREE 3rd party routers) that something, regarding my user/pw, has been changed and Level 1 and Level 2 'Indian' tech support have no understanding of the issue, let alone ability to diagnose and definitely no access to the relevant Db's, or DbA, to actually fix it.

So, yes, they can and DO work but when something goes wrong....it can really go wrong and supports ends up saying 'your router, your problem' even though it clearly isn't. Would I use Vodafone again...NOPE. Would I use any non-UK support architecture EVER again? NOPE. Whatever money you can save you lose very quickly in, even, half a day off wasted to follow their 'procedure'...even though that procedure makes no sense to anyone even remotely technical.

All the best whomsoever reads this:)

Hello,

I would appreciate a steer on this one. 

FYI,  i have now disabled all my WiFi and dhcp on the VP router and plugged my ASUS router into the LAN port of the VP router and setup WiFi and DHCP from there. The default gateway is the Lan IP of the VP router.

this is better in terms of WiFi performance but still not getting the subscribed speeds of 909mb, my ASUS router is operating all the WiFi MHz up to 160Mhz  bandwidth.

it better house coverage than the VP router but I would have preferred to on use the ASUS instead of the VP as the gateway.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@furyexpert

You should be able to use your ASUS direct into the fibre connection box (ONT?), but you will need to get your authentication details from Vodafone.

Which ASUS do you have?

Hello, it’s the RT-8x88u

i did call Vodaphone and one tech said that you can do it, and he gave me a username and password, I also changed a vlan to 911.

this did not work so I called them again to be told  that you can’t connect 3rd party routers. 

pretty sure when I first tried it the router complained about incorrect username or password for the PPPOE connection. 

mike

Jayach

Apparently Vodafone are not that good at giving the full details of the username and password. Make sure what you have matches the format @HappyNomad posted here:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Vodafone-Hub-and-ASUS-Zen-WiFi-XT8/m-p/26797...

There are certainly people using their own routers on Gigafast so it is possible.

I would try again but over the online web chat to get your pppoe username and password. Over the phone there can be discrepancies between certain numbers and letters etc. I’ve got my ASUS RT-AX86u directly connected to the ONT and all set up and working now. 

any questions then feel free to ask 👍🏻

Got this giggafast 900

wifi speed always under 500 

The connection is soo poor that my ring cameras don’t even connect on 5gz. 

purchased a netgear rax200 coding £400, called vodaphone for the information I required but it’s not connecting, spend hours on the phone to net gear and vodaphone but still no luck. Really need some advice, 

ive piggy banked the net gear from the vodaphone router and it works fine, but it’s just a ##~## way to do things, so I want  help advise and help whatever you guys know or have experienced. Thanks and keep safe

Hello do you know if this is capable off running the city fibre vodafone line to Deco X73-DSL

Jayach

@Eyaz786 wrote:

Hello do you know if this is capable off running the city fibre vodafone line to Deco X73-DSL

No problem, use wireless router mode, see picture from manual:

Jayach_0-1653903786256.png

You will, however, lose the phone line.

Edit: You will need to get your PPPoE username from Vodafone, use live chat. https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

You may need to know the VLAN as well, 911 on CityFibre.