Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

wi fi extender thats plug and play?

Kev1744
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

hi all

ive just joined vodafone and got the fibre broadband.

the speeds im getting are great when im sat within feet of the router but not so great in the rest of the house.

the house is a fairly small house but has solid brick internal walls which i think is blocking the signal. after speaking to vodafone they can only suggest i upgrade my plan to include boosters, however i would rather just buy my own. can anyone recommend ones that work and are plug and play?

ideally  i want it so it mimics the router as well so no need to change connections as i move from room to room.

cheers kev

13 REPLIES 13

hi @Cynric 

its all very frustrating. i spent nearly 2 hours on the phone to vodafone yesterday where they told me...

1) The vodafone router is only guaranteed to give a good wifi signal for up to 6 metres, after that they cant guarantee any signal !?

2) They are the ones who mentioned tp link hence why i bought it...but yesterday the person i spoke to said it must be the Ethernet cable i was using as she believes cat 5 are only good for up to 100mbps ( i checked, shes wrong, and i was only getting 4 mbps anyway)

3)  I was then told to try changing the wifi channel....i explained i couldn't as vodafone had removed that option...she argued they hadn't and i was obviously just not doing it right...until we went through it step by step to which she then said it must be a new thing.

at this point i said i would just leave vodafone and she put me through to a cancellation dept....who after about 10 mins suggested that i upgrade to the pro version with boosters and if it didn't work then i could leave free of penalties...so thats what im doing, new router and booster should be here later today. yes its going to cost more and i begrudge paying extra for what i believe i should get as standard but i see no other option.

it would be great if vodafone just sold the boosters separate.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Kev1744 wrote:

she believes cat 5 are only good for up to 100mbps ( i checked, shes wrong, and i was only getting 4 mbps anyway)

Surprisingly that is right, you need a minimum of cat 5e for gigabit speeds.

Just about everything else is wrong.

Hope the new router solves your problems.

oops yes my mistake, i was thinking of cat 5e....which makes me wonder why tp link only provide cat 5 cable for a product thats meant to provide up to 300mbps?.

ill see how the new router and boosters go, still wish they would just sell the boosters on there own

Cynric

@Kev1744  If I were a suspicious type, I'd say "oh look, VF has got you to pay more without sorting your problem". Good thing I am not suspicious. 🤣