cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

2 hours on LiveChat, and say they can't reactivate my SIM, which was deactivated only a week ago

Sime6954
3: Seeker

I'm going to try to resolve a matter on social media by DM, but understand I need to have posted here first to refer to, so here goes:

I am deaf and disabled, but need my phone for essential SMS, mainly incoming, from NHS, banking verification etc.

I use minimum of chargeable services, or make a top-up to keep the number active.

You'll appreciate keeping the same number is essential.

Last week Vodafone deactivated my Sim without warning (I've checked my call logs to confirm no warning SMS). I'm out of chargeable credit use by a few days.

I've just been on live chat for over two hours and three people, to try to reactivate my SIM, who can't decide which excuse will enable them to refuse to reactivate:

1) it's more than 180 days

2) i've had the warning sms (I haven't)

3) because I don't make calls there isn't enough data to ask the verification questions to access my account and reactivate my sim.

4) Because it's deactivated all my records are deleted, so can't run security check to access my account.

Dates:

My last top-up was 26-11-2019 (I was about £20 in credit)

The last SMS I sent was 24-05-2021

The last SMS I received (NHS) was 19-11-2021

Sometime between 19-11-21 and Sat 27-11 I was disconnected without warning: I'm well within 90 days to reactivate, but all I'm getting is excuses.

Live Chat is exhausted; I'll DM on twitter to follow up.

It is going to be a monumental problem if I lose this number; banking security checks, hospital etc.

This is terrible of Vodafone to do this to disabled people mid-Covid.

19 REPLIES 19

Sime6954

To follow up; I've DM'd twitter (@VodafoneUK) and am waiting for a reply there or here.

Thank you,

Simon

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Sime6954 

Payg reconnection window is 90 days if the account is suspended by Vodafone.

Please do contact the Vodafone Social Media Team's and link back to your thread here including your forum username so your not having to repeat yourself.

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you for your reply. I have now made contact with Social Media, and linked to this post (@VodafoneUK)) who have asked me some personal info to ID me to my account and take action.

It was from your previous helpful post to BrianDoubletake that I understand the reconnection period to be 90 days, so I see no reason why Vodafone can't do it. I'm sure you appreciate how difficult it is to change a number; everything relies on sending SMS for verification.

The time wasted this morning with Livechat, and the contradictory excuses for not reactivating my SIM  were ridiculous, so I'm expecting/hoping @VodafoneUK to do better.

Thanks again.

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

It sounds like the live chat agents couldn't confirm that you were the account holder and so just made excuses to get rid of you. Hope you get it sorted! 👍

Hi WelshPaul,

It was very much that it seemed too hard for them, so they didn't bother to try; they didn't even ask my DOB or address; just made excuses, even though I insisted I had 15 yrs of records; accounts, call logs, statements showing top-ups etc...... so they just need to ask the right questions. VodafoneUK on Twitter have now asked my DOB and postcode - it's so simple; I just hope they realise that it can be verified if they make the effort.

It is such an important matter to me, being deaf and disabled, that I find it unbelievable that they just couldn't be bothered to try harder, and the excuses contradict each other between the three people I spoke to. I have the transcript of the 2+hr chat.

I won't name the guy who is helping me now on Twitter, who should have read this now, (please confirm if you have) and who I hope can put this right, but I can see no justifiable reason that he can't now get past that hurdle where Livechat failed, and reactivate my SMS; it's really crucial to me; I'm housebound and totally cut off from essential services that require SMS for verification, and from NHS hospital plans.

I'll report back when this is resolved (or not), and thank you for your message.

Thanks

This is absolutely disgusting; too hard for @VodafoneUK too! This was the message just received:

"Thanks for providing details. However, to reconnect your number we need to ask some additional questions for security checks but it seems there isn't sufficient information on the account to complete security you'd need to visit a Vodafone store with photo ID. They'll help you to reconnect your number back. Rishabh"

They're telling a disabled, housebound person to take ID into a shop because they can't be bothered to ask the right questions because they hold insufficient information.

Rishabh @VodafoneUK; just make an effort and ask the right questions instead of making excuses because it seems too hard for you to bother with!

I am deaf, disabled and housebound, and you deactivated my SIM without warning during Covid, and have left me in serious danger, but can't be bothered to fix it.

Hi @Sime6954, it doesn't sound like you've had the best experience trying to get your number reactivated. If you've sent us a message on Twitter, did you include your Community username or a link to this post? 

Hi MarkD,

Thanks for your message.

Yes I did those things this morning after the wasted 2+hr LiveChat. (link to here and username).

The latest development is that I have been told to try to reset my PIN, which I've done, but doubt it'll work because I've had to put my mobile number on the online form, which I know has already been deactivated, so is not recognised by Vodafone. - Now I have to wait 24hrs to probably find out it was a waste of time.

I have to wait until the Pin reset works, or doesn't, but if it doesn't I've had no other constructive suggestions from Twitter, so am not optimistic. I've sent so much proof today, that it is my SIM and number, that I've been using it and topping it up for years, I've sent proof of address, DOB and photo ID (driving licence), and proof that I was in credit and using this SIM and number it right up to when it was deactivated without warning some time after Nov 19th - less than 10 days ago.

I've been trying to sort it since 07:00hrs this morning and after 10 hrs of trying to resolve it and get my Sim reactivated I'm distressed, exhausted and angry, but will get back on to Twitter to push it tomorrow.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

I can see that my team are now looking after this over on Twitter - Rishabh has set a reminder to check it again later today. 

We'll be back in touch via Direct Message on Twitter, once we have an update for you 🙂