Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Basic questions about BVB "for UK use only from 8 June"

btwimberly
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello all

I will be visiting the UK in a few days and I have just purchased a BVB for my unlocked Android with a Vodafone SIM that was activated in the UK by a third-party (UKSIMS). Although I am still in the US, the SIM seems to work fine: when I turned the phone on, Vodafone sent several texts telling me they converted my top-up to a BVB.

They also mentioned that "your allowances are for UK use only from 8 June 2022. To opt out call 2345 free." 

Now, I don't need to use this phone until I arrive in the UK, in a few days' time. But once I am in the UK, my understanding has been that I would save money if I opt-in to the international plan (for free) by texting  INTERNATIONAL to 2345. I presume this means I would then have cheap rates for sending texts to the USA. I am not sure whether I will also get cheap or free texts FROM the USA. 

Anyway, my questions are 

(1) Is it still true that I would be well-advised whilst in the UK  to opt-in to the international plan by texting  INTERNATIONAL to 2345?

(2) Will this allow me ONLY to text cheaply to the USA, or will it allow me to both send and receive texts to the USA?

(3) Finally, when I log in to myvodafone, I can see that they have indeed credited me with a huge number of minutes and GB for my 30-day PAYG BVB. But my balance is zero. Does this zero balance mean that I should first top-up again with a small amount (say 5-10 pounds) before texting INTERNATIONAL to 2345? And this 5-10 pound amount, too small to be automatically converted to a BVB, would be my funds available for international calling or texting?

My confusion arises partly from the language in that text from Vodafone.

Thanks for any advice. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @btwimberly 

Unfortunately, the BVB is for UK use only and is valid for 30 days from the date of activation and providing you have credit at the end of 30 days will automatically renew. IF you don't want this to renew you need to opt out here: Remove Big Value Bundle   At the moment you are able to use the allowance in certain EU destinations.  See here; Roaming Charge Checker 

However, you are visiting the UK and it would certainly save you money adding an international extra for calling back to the US.  You should be able to add a call abroad extra for PAYG customers costing £10.00 for 75 minutes by texting 34443 to opt in and you will need added credit to pay for the extra. The information is here : Vodafone Extras and here: International Calls 

For calls from the US to your UK number, the charges will need to be taken up with the US provider.  A workaround would be to use your US number in the UK, as calls would still be to a US number there would be no additional charges, the phone can be anywhere in the World and it would still be classed as calling US to US.

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

AnnS

Hi @btwimberly 

Unfortunately, the BVB is for UK use only and is valid for 30 days from the date of activation and providing you have credit at the end of 30 days will automatically renew. IF you don't want this to renew you need to opt out here: Remove Big Value Bundle   At the moment you are able to use the allowance in certain EU destinations.  See here; Roaming Charge Checker 

However, you are visiting the UK and it would certainly save you money adding an international extra for calling back to the US.  You should be able to add a call abroad extra for PAYG customers costing £10.00 for 75 minutes by texting 34443 to opt in and you will need added credit to pay for the extra. The information is here : Vodafone Extras and here: International Calls 

For calls from the US to your UK number, the charges will need to be taken up with the US provider.  A workaround would be to use your US number in the UK, as calls would still be to a US number there would be no additional charges, the phone can be anywhere in the World and it would still be classed as calling US to US.

Thanks, AnnS, that's very useful!