Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data only SIM

TimTaylor
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi

We have an unreliable internet connection and I want a backup I can use if our internet is interrupted during an important Zoom meeting.

I want to avoid paying up front for data I might not use, but need a connection I can call on immediately in an emergency.

I can see two possibilities - the Pay as you Go SIM and the Data only SIM.

Which do you think would be the best option?

Thank you

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Then yes payg is the option i would pursue @TimTaylor 

4G would be the best data connection.

5G just provides faster downloads speeds of large files so I wouldn't become too fixated on that.

Your not locked in a contract with Vodafone Payg and can top up when you like and only that you'll need to keep it activated by using it at least every 180 days.

Hope that helps.  :Winking_smiley:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers

Payg sim if it's just as a back up in my opinion.

You can choose between the Payg tariff options and are not locked into a contract @TimTaylor 

With a data only sim it's a 30 day rolling contract or a 12 month contract.

Just to add a Payg sim needs to be used within an 180 day period to keep it activated and no credit or allowance lost.

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @TimTaylor 

If you are going to be using the mobile network for an important zoom meeting you are going to need a strong 4G signal, preferably 5G connection and it might be an idea to check the speed you are going to achieve from the network checker at the top of the page.

If you have a mobile phone, I would recommend setting up a hotspot with your PC, and this will work just as well on PAYG as it does on contract, if you refer to the device guides here: Device Guides and selectyour phone this will give information on how to set this up.  The other alternative would be purchasing a mobile data device available on PAYG with a PAYG data SIM from here: Mobile Broadband.

Thank you, 

I have a SIM router that I am intending to use. My family are using Vodafone and have a good 4G signal so I'm confident it will work. My worry is about which option makes the most financial sense, seeing as it will only be used in case of emergency.

Tim

BandOfBrothers

Then yes payg is the option i would pursue @TimTaylor 

4G would be the best data connection.

5G just provides faster downloads speeds of large files so I wouldn't become too fixated on that.

Your not locked in a contract with Vodafone Payg and can top up when you like and only that you'll need to keep it activated by using it at least every 180 days.

Hope that helps.  :Winking_smiley:

Current Phone  >

Thank you BofB

V helpful!

Tim

BandOfBrothers

My pleasure @TimTaylor  :Winking_smiley:

Current Phone  >