main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Pay as you go

Deactivation

3: Seeker

Got an emergency phone for my daughter. keep it charged and she takes it along with her main phone. Belt and braces. Discovered last night when she needed it. That it has been deactivated. when to the Vodafone shop today thurrock lakeside. they were no help at all. Pay as you go sim cant be reactivated. lost all the credit. Vodafone don't do a free sim anymore the guy said. Lie. Thinking of switching to Three now as their sims do not expire.

View more options
24 REPLIES 24
17: Community Champion

Hi

If a Vodafone payg sim card is not used at least every 180 days to make a call or send a text or use data or top up then Vodafone can and will deactivate the sim card in afraid and any credit lost. 

This is in the T&C. 

Sometimes if caught very quickly then Live Chat or Customer service on 191 can try to reactivate it. 

What do you mean in regards to a free sim card ?

A person can pick up a payg sim card from a Vodafone High street store but may need to agree to top it up before leaving the store which activates it or pick one up from a £1 discount store. 

Unfortunately even a sim swap which a Vodafone High street store can do to move a number from one sim to another couldn't be processed against a deactivated number. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Just to add that 3 SIM cards can be deactivated for non usage too. 

This is in their T&C's. 

"We may suspend or disconnect our Services if we reasonably believe that you haven’t complied with certain terms of your agreement. We may also suspend our Services or disconnect you if you have not activated a Pay As You Go Voucher on your account or undertaken any chargeable events or activities (for example, made telephone calls, sent text or photo messages, accessed content or the internet or any other Three Services for which a charge is made) using any credit on your account during the preceding 6 month period."

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options

Hi @easytreasure

No mobile network is going to keep a SIM active when there has been a long period of inactivity, there would be no way of knowing if the SIM was ever going to be used again.

It is an Ofcom ruling that PAYG SIMs have to be in use, there are not infinite of mobile telephone numbers available and when a number has not been used, it has to be disconnected and recycled.

However, all may not be lost and it depends on how long it has been since the last chargeable activity.  Live Chat will be able to let you know if there is any possibility of getting the number back

View more options
Thank you all for your replies. Should have read the terms and conditions. Will fit a new Sim and use it every couple of months. Put it in my diary. The Sim in question is in a tracking device that is buried in the dashboard behind the radio. One in my sons car, and one in my daughters. The idea works quite well. I can call the device and it texts me back the cars position. LAT LONG instantly. Within a few feet. Just need to keep the Sim active every couple of months. This is just to be able to locate the car if stolen. Have been thinking of changing my broadband to Vodafone, but the complete lack of interest from live chat and the Thurrock lakeside store have put me off. The telephone help system is a joke. Guy at Lakeside just wanted to sell me a contract, and said it was no longer possible to get a free Sim card. Thanks again.
View more options
4: Newbie
I feel your frustration.

Seems all networks will cancel an inactive SIM after a period of time.

However what could be done differently is Vodafone staff being receptive to your concerns and offering solutions or workarounds to the situation. You won't get that from the offshore call centre nor a store that is more concerned with sales than service.
View more options

@easytreasure wrote:
Thank you all for your replies. Should have read the terms and conditions. Will fit a new Sim and use it every couple of months. Put it in my diary. The Sim in question is in a tracking device that is buried in the dashboard behind the radio. One in my sons car, and one in my daughters. The idea works quite well. I can call the device and it texts me back the cars position. LAT LONG instantly. Within a few feet. Just need to keep the Sim active every couple of months. This is just to be able to locate the car if stolen. Have been thinking of changing my broadband to Vodafone, but the complete lack of interest from live chat and the Thurrock lakeside store have put me off. The telephone help system is a joke. Guy at Lakeside just wanted to sell me a contract, and said it was no longer possible to get a free Sim card. Thanks again.

You're very welcome @easytreasure

I hope we've helped so that your now a little more informed on how to stop this from occurring again. 

Take care. 

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options

Still waiting for my free sim from Three. There a bit slow in sending. Keep reading of local cars stolen from driveways. I may go down to lakeside today and pick one up from the Three shop. Feel a bit safer with the trackler working again. Vodafone let us down proper.

View more options
Community Champion (Retired)
Sounds like it's either Three or the postal service letting you down on this occasion. Previously the problem was failing to understand the product you had bought into.
View more options

Got the free sim from Three today, but its 3G or 4G only, so will not work in the tracker that has to be 2G. So back to square one. Not sure if  Vodafone still do a sim that works on 2G. And what the non use policy is. It may be that vodafone sent a message to the tracker warning of inactivity but in the tracker you dont see it.

View more options
13: Advanced Member

In respect of the usage policy only, T&C's seem to state as below:
http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/configfiles/documents/contentdocuments/pay-as-you-go-terms-and-c...
"6. Suspension, disconnection and ending the agreement
a. We can suspend (in other words bar), restrict or stop providing the
services (all or part of them) in the following circumstances:
You choose not to use the service for 180 consecutive days.
Using the service means making any chargeable outbound
activity such as making an outbound call (excluding calls to
191), sending an SMS, using data or topping up your
account."
"b. If we suspend the mobile equipment because you have chosen not to
use the services (as defined in 6a3 above) for 180 consecutive days we
will send you an SMS notifying you that you should top up your account
or make a chargeable outbound call (but not calls to 191), send a
chargeable SMS or use your data within the next 90 days.
If you then fail to make any chargeable outbound calls (but not
calls to 191), send a chargeable SMS, use your data or top up your
account within 90 days from the date of the SMS because you have
not kept to this agreement or not used the services for 270
consecutive days, we will disconnect your mobile equipment, and
you will lose any credit held on your account."

View more options

Just ordered a free sim from Vodafone. Just hope they still work in the tracker. Will make sure I use it every three months. Asda do a 2G sim but you can only check you balance on a phone. So this is no good.

View more options

These are the ways to monitor your balance, one of which allows you to do so from another handset. If you are considering doing this via the online account it may be worth noting that they have recently introduced a system whereby accessing the online account means a text with a security code is sent to the handset and this needs to be entered each time you access the account.

http://support.vodafone.co.uk/Account-bill-and-top-up/Managing-my-account/Using-My-Vodafone/38948014...

View more options

@easytreasure A Vodafone SIM should definitely work in a 2G device - and the 2G signal should be around for a fair length of time, as a lot of Vodafone customers in remote areas have nothing else. Of course, no network will be too precise about its plans, in case things change unexpectedly, but I think you would at least get plenty of warning if things start moving in that direction.

Vodafone's disconnection policy for PAYG is as @forumfairy sets out above. I have deliberately let a couple of SIMs run to disconnection, and I have received my warning text at about 180 days after the last chargeable usage (the SMS isn't "persistent" in any way, so it doesn't arrive if the SIM isn't on at about the right time), then after a further 90 days plus, it has stopped functioning.  The main danger with a timescale of 180-270 days is that it's dangerously easy to run past it. So a diary note to make a call, send a text, or do something else chargeable, every 3 months is essential. [Presumably with a tracker device, you simply ask it to report where it is? These non-standard uses for phone SIMs can be a bit challenging - I still chuckle a bit over the chap who was on holiday in NZ, and realised he ought to be attempting to break into his barn to trigger an autodialler.]

View more options

@easytreasure

Following on from @forumfairy's point about receiving a security code in order to access the online account, this is something which you definitely ought to sort out before the SIM disappears into the deeper recesses behind your dashboard.

While you still have the SIM accessible, you need to pop it into any Vodafone-compatible handset, and then register for My Vodafone as described here. You need the SIM in a phone to receive a security code as part of the registration, and you need an email address which you haven't used for another account. You will need to give a security PIN and a memorable word to help with any future login problems.

After you have done the basic registration, you will also be able to add some personal contact details, and this is where the important bit comes in - you can add an alternative contact number or two, which could be any standard UK mobile number (doesn't have to be Vodafone), or indeed a landline number.

Then, when you want to login to the My Vodafone account, you give your username (usually most convenient to use the email address) and password, and then you are asked to choose the number to which you want the security code to be sent - either the number for the account, or the alternative contact number(s) you have set up within the account.

I find this trick immensely useful. I live rather on the edge of signal for Vodafone and other networks, but I have a choice of my Vodafone number, a back-up number from another network, or my landline. Generally one or other mobile will have signal, but if both look shaky, I'll opt for the landline, and the strange voice text that comes via that route.

So just check that you are happy with the choice of numbers that is coming up, and then you can safely bury the SIM in the depths of the dashboard, and be able to access the online account without accessing the SIM.

[The trick also comes in handy for monitoring the balance and topping up the credit for another family member's phone, if necessary.]

View more options

Got the new sim today. very quick. Put it in an old 2G Nokia phone that I keep just for this and registered/topped up. Just need to go out in the cold now and put the Sim in the tracker. It lookes a bit cold at the moment. may leave it till Sunday. Thank everyone for your advice.

View more options
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have a very similar issue. I have not used my SIM and account since 2015 and I am not able to log back to my online account. I contacted chat support and I was advised that my phone number has disconnected and my account may have been deactivated due to a long term of inactivity. They were not able to reactivate or delete my account. Can you take a look at this issue for me? How is that possible to permanently delete a pay as you go account? Because on Vodafone.co.uk website, I was unable to find information regarding deletion if I am not a pay monthly customer.

Thank you.

View more options
16: Advanced member

From the terms and conditions posted above, it seems that 180 days of non-activity triggers the disconnection process. You then have 90 more days from that point where you can reactivate the account by topping up and making phone calls. If after 270 days you still haven't used it then the account is permanently deleted.

So from your post, there's no issue here. You've not used a sim card since 2015, it's now 2018. The terms and conditions are on the site relating to what you need to do to keep a pay as you go account active. I think the most helpful thing woud have been the live chat people specifically telling you that your account has been deleted rather than saying 'may'. 

View more options
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for informing me regarding Vodafone Terms and Conditions.

I spoke to live chat support to discuss my concerns with them, however I was advised to get a blank or otherwise replacement SIM card because I may have threwn away the old one and they said that the reason why they will not disclose any details or delete my account just in case it is not deleted, but rather deactivated, because I failed verification. I admit that I cannot remember all data that relates to the old SIM card. I went to the nearest store in my area but they did not give a blank SIM because they were unable to find my phone number in the system and it appeared that this SIM has never been activated or chargable phone calls have not been made for a while.

I was encouraged to buy a new SIM that would give a new phone number but I ignored as customer service insisted that they will not be able to verify account ownership with a new card.

Some agents said that my account has been deactivated that means the same as deletion at Vodafone.

But other people told me that my account is rather deactivated, not deleted with all personal details from the database and they could only be able to chat with me further and make changes, like reactivating or permanently deleting if I could recall everything about the old SIM.  If not, there is nothing else they can do to help me. But even if I could remember, I am not sure that they would be able to restore my account because it has been such a long period of time since 2015. As for deletion, if non-used accounts are permanently deleted, I think, they should not be any accounts to delete from the database.

View more options

If you last used your number in 2015, the chances must be near 100% that the number has been disconnected, quarantined, out of quarantine, and put onto a new SIM which is in a store somewhere, awaiting activation by a new user.

You'd do far better to get a new SIM, new number, and start again from scratch. If the number is important to you, have you tried calling it? A new user might be willing to sell it to you - perhaps! 

View more options