Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Error when trying to buy PAYG data sim from Vodafone website

sihil
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

This is driving me completely mad. I'd like to buy a 24Gb data sim valid for 24 months for £45 as available at https://freesim.vodafone.co.uk/check-out-data

When I follow the checkout process I select the product, fill in my details, select a payment method and fill in my details as appropriate. When I click submit I go through the payment flow, most recently having to accept the payment in my Monzo app, and then I get forwarded to the following page:

"Your order is on the way

Look out for an email from us confirming your order.
Estimated delivery is 1-2 working days.
Your order ID is: T0010959904"

Then after half a second or so the page changes again to show:

"Order Error

We're sorry, but there was an error with your order.
If you continue to have problems, please visit our support page"

The payment is then cancelled (via Amazon Pay) or simply not taken in the case of my Monzo card and I never receive the email promised by the "order is on its way" page.

I've now tried to do this five times over three days, attempting to checkout using both Amazon and Card to pay. I've also tried in Firefox and Chrome and latterly ensured I disabled Firefox's enhanced tracking protection. I still get the error and am unable to buy this product.

Given the online failures, I visited my local shop earlier in the week to buy it in person but they don't know anything about this product and denied it existed until I went back a second time with the webpage in hand. They claim it is an online-only product.

Yesterday I spent three-quarters of an hour on the phone to Vodafone's PAYG support line. Someone named "Shina" tried really hard to help but ultimately we didn't get anywhere and despite saying she would, she didn't call me back in the afternoon with an update.

5 REPLIES 5

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @sihil 

There have been problems before with a Monzo card, it won't be accepted onine or instore but would be accepted by calling Vodafone.

Try with an alternative card, it should go through.  Alternatively, speak to Vodafone here: Contact Us 

@sihil 

Clear the PC cookies and  cache you have probably got a cookie preventing the other card and try again. 

Hi AnnS,

Thanks for the reply.

An issue with Monzo doesn't explain why the Amazon pay option didn't work. However, to rule out Monzo (which would be a problem in itself given the millions of Monzo customers) I've just tried again with a debit card from Nationwide and have unfortunately had exactly the same problem a sixth time.

As I said, I had a long conversation on the phone yesterday. What method of contact do you suggest and who should I be trying to speak to?

Thanks,

Simon

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @sihil, I can appreciate how frustrating this must be, especially when you are just trying to take out a SIM with us!

When you have attempted to pay with your Nationwide card, was this online? If it was, I would advised calling up again and attempting to pay with that card over the phone 👍

Thanks @Evie.

Yes indeed. Last time I tried to call I was informed that I couldn't order the SIM over the phone. I can try again. If you have a number and instructions on who I need to speak to that would be most helpful.

Ummm. Are you a bot, or just randomly quoting https://www.vodafone.co.uk/data-only-sim for my benefit?