Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Giving Rewards points to charity

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

I stand to lose a few hundred Rewards Points in August, as I'm only building them up at 100 a month, which isn't enough to buy anything useful, and was wondering how to stop them going to waste.

I was delighted to see on https://rewards.vodafone.co.uk/catalogue that it is possible to donate as few as 200 Points to charity - though, if I wait until August, I may have as many as 1,000 available!

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Well done to you @Annie_N 

👏

May I also say Hi to a well respected Community Champion.

Fantastic to see your post.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N

Hi @BandOfBrothers, glad to see you're still doing sterling work on the Forum!

I can report that I've now taken the plunge and used 200 points (aka £1) for a voucher which I then donated to the Trussell Trust - to donate the voucher you have to register with forgoodcauses, and it was all perfectly straightforward. So, come August, I'll be clearing another 1,000 points - there seems to be plenty of choice of charities that have signed up with them.

Annie_N

A quick update on this: They seem to have discontinued the £1 / 200-point FGC vouchers, but the £5 / 1,000-point version continues, so even on the basic £5 BVB**, it should be possible to amass enough points in a year to make a donation before the points lapse. Buying the voucher seems to have become more complicated - back in May, the code was sent direct to my phone, but now you have to go round the mulberry bush a few times before you finally get to see the code.

** Is Vodafone discontinuing the £5 BVB? At present mine renews automatically, but there doesn't appear to be any way to opt in to that value, so I'm not going to risk letting mine lapse. Shades of the old "Text & Web Freebie" which was such good value to the light user that they discontinued it gradually over a prolonged period by the simple expedient of making it impossible to opt back in if you opted out.

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member

I wasn't aware that reward points expired. How long do they last? I can't find any info on it...

Found it:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/consumer/mobile/pay-as-you-go/vodafone-rewards-on-pa...

12 months. But how do you know when your twelve months is up if you can't remember the dates of when you topped up?

Annie_N

I'm not convinced there has ever been precise chapter and verse, but what I believe still happens is that at the end of August you lose all points which are over 12 months old. So that they last for somewhere between 12 and 24 months, depending when you acquired them. Last August I received a warning (possibly by SMS) that xxx points were about to expire.

Barans
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

In addition to helping you book travel and letting you earn cash back [Removed], the credit card points and miles you earn from everyday spending can be used to make a positive social impact. It's possible to donate many of them directly to reputable charities [Removed]

MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove off topic please see Community Guidelines]

WelshPaul

Doesn't matter anymore! I had a notice pop up on the my Vodafone app informing me that the rewards on pay as you go is closing on 27 September.

Annie_N

Yes, me too! Ah well, I guess it's better than a price rise, though I do wonder how much longer the £5 Big Value Bundle is going to continue, as it no longer seems to be available for new sign-ups.

On a related issue, I've just discovered how to give some of one's PAYG balance to charity, as JustTextGiving closed last year. British Red Cross and the Save the Children Fund have giving by text options available..