Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problems with reactivation PAYG sim

Afroman
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I live in Russia. I often travel to Europe and prefer to use my PAYG number. But COVID-19 cancelled all my travels and I found that last time when I used my sim was in January. I've login to My Vodafone and switch on an iPhone with this sim. I caught network and even get registered in local 3G. But I can't send any message, top-up any sum (there is a mistake in My Vodafone), add a payment card and call to support (because it's not free from Russia). What should I do to save my number?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Afroman 

You can top up here:  PAYG top up 

The problem is going to be having the facility to top up from Russia, this will need to be done using a UK registered card to a UK bank, with mobile top up being a fraud concern, foreign banks will often decline the transaction.

If you are in a fortunate position to know someone in the UK, they will be able to top up for you and make the very important use of the SIM in the UK.

I do worry that the SIM has already been disconnected and it is too late to save and trying to save the number will be a waste of time.  Try looking around the internet, there are always online site that sell prepaid UK SIM's with some credit.

View solution in original position

4 REPLIES 4

AnnS

Hi @Afroman 

If the SIM was last used January, it will have been restricted for non use, you have 180 days to use the SIM, plus a further 90 days before final cut off. The only thing you will be able to do to save the number is to top up or make a chargeable activity.  Obviously, neither will work when you are in Russia.  It is also important to remember that roaming in the EU is only for the occasional travel, it is not intended for long term use.

There are not an infinite number on mobile telephone numbers and with it being an Ofcom ruling that all PAYG SIM's have to be in use and with there being no guarantee the number will again be used, networks have to disconnect the SIM and recycle the number. 

Unless the number is that important to you, you will be able to get a new replacement SIM but with an alternative number when you are next in the UK.

Thanks for your answer.

So, the problem is in top-ups. I can't do it and don't know why. Just "mistake" and "try later". I used a VPN, for the system it looks like I sit in the UK. Maybe there is an external service to pay to Vodafone?

Problem not with losing number. It's all about comfortable usage. I often travel by car from Russia and not always is a possibility to get an adequate sim. And it always costs a lot of time.

AnnS

Hi @Afroman 

You can top up here:  PAYG top up 

The problem is going to be having the facility to top up from Russia, this will need to be done using a UK registered card to a UK bank, with mobile top up being a fraud concern, foreign banks will often decline the transaction.

If you are in a fortunate position to know someone in the UK, they will be able to top up for you and make the very important use of the SIM in the UK.

I do worry that the SIM has already been disconnected and it is too late to save and trying to save the number will be a waste of time.  Try looking around the internet, there are always online site that sell prepaid UK SIM's with some credit.

I've done it by your link 😀 Thank you!

There is no problem to pay from Russia. It's definitely something with My Vodafone.