Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Retrieve disconnected mobile number

Lfox
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello, I had a phone number which I disconnected a few years ago which I have also been trying to retrieve for many years without success. My number was on contract and when the term ended I switched it to pay as you go. So I had the number for quite some time. I was leaving the country so I disconnected my number, I did not think that I would be coming back a few months after I disconnected my number I ended up coming back to the UK and I tried to retrieve my number but I was unable to do so. Its been a few years now but till this day I am extremely upset about this ans I just do not understand why I cannot have my number back a number which I paid for a number which was in my name on both contract and pay as you go with Vodafone. I do not understand how you do not have this information on your system. I have tried calling several times with no help whatsoever regarding this matter. A company as big and known worldwide as Vodafone should have the ability to gain access to their customers details on the system. My number is still disconnected and it has still not been used I still call every now and then to check and it absolutely angers me that nothing can be done to solve this issue. Nothing is impossible and I know for a fact that Vodafone have the ability of retrieving  my number. Everytime I have contacted Vodafone, I have been passed on to several different departments all of which have been unable to assist me. As I said I have been trying for several years it all started a few months after I first disconnected my number and since then I have had no success which is why I have come on here trying to find answers to my problem. 

Many thanks, 

Lara

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Once a Payg Vodafone number has been disconnected and suspended after 180 days + 90 days of non usage it is then quarantined and placed back in a number pool and then at some point either re issued or sometimes even another network uses it.

There is only a very short period of time from it been quarantined to be able to recover it. We are talking a matter of days.

There is no account access via this forum anymore too.

Only via Customer services  or the Vodafone Social Media Team. 

I'm afraid you may find it not possible to retrieve the mobile number now @Lfox after so long.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Lfox 

Unfortunately, the number does not belong to you, it belongs to the originating network who issued the number.  There are not an infinite number of mobile telephone numbers available, and with it being an Ofcom ruling that all PAYG numbers have to be in use, if the number is not used, it will be disconnected and put in 'quarantine' to clear all previous users information before being reissued.

If it had only been a few months, there may have been a chance to locate the number, but after a few a few years the number could be anywhere, it may have even been ported out to an alternative network.

Although you probably have alreay tried, you can try calling the number but it may be in use or somewhere on a SIM card.

You can ask Vodafone but without an account to verify to prove identity, you may not get much success :Contact Us 

Hello, as I said I have already called the number it is still not in use no one is using it and its been that way since I disconnected my number. The thing is I did contact Vodafone a few months later after disconnecting my number when I returned to the UK and even then no one was able to help me. I still cant figure out why. I know that the number is still not used. I can prove my identity I can send any type of identification needed because the number was under my name.

BandOfBrothers

Totally appreciate what your saying and how you feel about this @Lfox 

Again I wish you all the best with this situation however you must be prepared to accept the number may never be yours again to use.

Again there is no account access or support via this forum anymore.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Lfox 

From what you have written, Vodafone have already advised that it is not possible to retrieve the number.

After several years, the number will be well gone, and as already mentioned, the number may have been reissued many times and ported out of Vodafone.

However, there is no harm asking.  Follow this link:  Contact Us 

Irrespective of how long you use them or even if you pay an operator for a so-called 'Gold number' nothing confers ownership of that number on you and it might well have been allocated to a data only SIM (numbers are allocated to these for easy identification on the billing system) and so once disconnected it returns to the original operator's allocation ready for reissue however they see fit.

I think the chances now are absolute zero.

Sorry

Hello I am interested if you got your number back?

I have accidentally ported my husband's number into mine and have been told it can't be retrieved. I am currently with sky but it was a Vodafone number originally. It is not in use, it only happened yesterday. I'm gutted I've had the same number for 15 years and feel in the digital age there must be a way... Thanks Michelle

Hi I accept ported my husband's number into mine. I have had this number for 15 years and feel there must be a way to retrieve it?