Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sim for very occasional use

John2022
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I only want to make to occasional call or send the occasional text, and I mean really occasional, maybe 1 call every couple of months and even less texts, I don't really want to pay £10 a month just for that, that seems to be the cheapest deal available.

I remember years ago I had a pay as you go phone and I only paid for what I used, £10 would last 12 months or more, what happened? is it really £10 a month even if I don't use it?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @John2022 

You will be wanting PAYG 1, scroll down to the FAQ's here: Vodafone PAYG 

When you get the SIM the trick is to opt of Big Value before topping up, otherwise Vodafone will automatically take your added credit to pay for a 30 day Big Value here: How do I remove my Big Value Bundle? 

When opted out of a bundle you will be charged £1.00 daily PAYG 1 charge for outgoing activity only, it is free to receive and you can expect your credit to last as long as you need it.  The only thing to remember is to keep the SIM active with some outgoing activity during a 90 day period  preferably sooner to prevent disconnection but you can expect a text message reminder from Vodafone.

I would also recommend at looking at alternatives, there may be cheaper options available other than Vodafone for the very occasional use.

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

AnnS

Hi @John2022 

You will be wanting PAYG 1, scroll down to the FAQ's here: Vodafone PAYG 

When you get the SIM the trick is to opt of Big Value before topping up, otherwise Vodafone will automatically take your added credit to pay for a 30 day Big Value here: How do I remove my Big Value Bundle? 

When opted out of a bundle you will be charged £1.00 daily PAYG 1 charge for outgoing activity only, it is free to receive and you can expect your credit to last as long as you need it.  The only thing to remember is to keep the SIM active with some outgoing activity during a 90 day period  preferably sooner to prevent disconnection but you can expect a text message reminder from Vodafone.

I would also recommend at looking at alternatives, there may be cheaper options available other than Vodafone for the very occasional use.

garetc
12: Established
12: Established

You're probably best off looking at Asda mobile if you're set on Vodafone or 1p Mobile (EE) if you're not too bothered. Vodafone's pay as you go options are now aimed more at users with a reoccurring add-on.

It's worth remembering you need to make a chargeable event periodically on all pay as you go plans/networks or they will disconnect your number and recycle it.

In some cases credit can also expire.

I have looked at others but unfortunatly my iPhone is locked to Vodafone, I bought it second hand and I bet there is rediculous charge to unlock.

Pretty sure it’s free now but @BandOfBrothers or @AnnS might know more about that. 

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-uk/forms/unlock-code-request/

Asda uses the Vodafone network, should work with your locked handset as the MNC (mobile network code) will be the same. 

BandOfBrothers

@garetc Yes it's free to unlock.

A person just needs to use the sim in the phone for 30 days so it's imei is latched to the payg account.

The cost implication would be a mimumim top up to show chargeable usage @John2022 . Then making a few calls and texts shows usage.

However I see you've chosen a solution to your thread now.

Nowadays iPhones are already unlocked.

IPhones do not unlock via a network nuc.

Instead Vodafone ask Apple to release the iPhone from it's locked database.

It can occasionally take 30 days for Apple to do this but is usually quicker.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

BandOfBrothers

The Payg1 option can get pretty expensive too @John2022 

Personally I think the network should have a tariff on payg where a person tops up and then has credit taken out when it's used not a daily £1 per day costing.

You may need to look at different options to what suits your wants and needs and usage habits.

I wish you all the best.  :Smiling: 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.