Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

5G Ultra

chistery
16: Advanced member

Has anyone managed to actually try it yet? I can't imagine there's many new and upgrading customers using an older Samsung phone but be interesting to see some comments and speeds from the user that has managed to get it!

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/5g 

My postcode has 5G Ultra, but I have an S23 Ultra and I won't be upgrading for a while.

35 REPLIES 35

I might try and see if CS can enable it again.

I'm not sure I have a few hours trying to explain to them what it is though.

I used web chat to speak to someone who told me I was eligible and that they could enable it but had to raise a service request to the back office team that would take 24/48 hours.

After ending the chat I got a message asking me to contact tech support again who then told me they could not activate it and that it would happen when it happens. 🤣

It's been a long time since this post.... so have you now had the 'text' saying you are provisioned?

garetc
12: Established

Nope - I complained at the end of December and was told there were issues enabling new users and there had been a pause. I’m led to believe that this is no longer case and they’re activating new users on Stand Alone but nothing in my lines yet. 

O2 announced they had launched SA yesterday for all users on certain handsets. But there’s no activating in batches, it’s ready to go if you have the right handset and SIM card. Maybe Vodafone should reach out and ask for advice? Hopefully it’ll give them a kick up the backside to speed up the roll-out/activation.

Reports from users elsewhere is that Vodafone SA isn’t as fast and their standard 5G (NSA) so feels a bit of a downgrade and is a disappointment, so we might be lucky not to have it just yet.

Pretty sure the Vodafone announcement was just marketing rubbish, shareholder pleasing and bragging rights.

chistery

Well, I have seen a notification from someone who took out a new SIM last month, saying 5G ultra is now enabled for them and it does work!

Still annoyed that as an existing customer I can't access it.

Remind me, was it for new and upgrading customers? 

chistery

Yes, new or upgrading from 24th Feb 2023

isaacee
3: Seeker

it looks like my s23 ultra has problems connectin 5g ultra, my friend's phone can show he is connecting 5g SA network (5g ultra) but when I insert his sim card to my S23 ultra, it only connects to 4g and NR NSA network, not SA.

garetc

Soooo on Thursday I got the message! Excited I eagerly switched Vodafone to my main SIM and NADA! I can see SA when I force my handset to SA only but cannot connect to it. Spoke to CS today and they came out with a load of rubbish. 

I'm in an SA area, I have the right SIM card and headset and I have it on my account but apparently it's still' implementing' on the line. Violet from the second line team was going to call me back within an hour (spoiler: she didn't). 

On paper it's activated in reality still working. I can at least see SA now just no connection.

Tacs2LTE

@garetc are you also in an 5G NSA area? I believe that the higher frequency takes priority and only switches to 5G SA when the signal strength passes a set threshold and then switches back if the 5G NSA threshold is met again, I believe this how it works in other 5G SA networks in other countries, so likely VF UK is doing the same.

If you are not then, back to VF CS!